Do you know someone whom you believe went to hell?

I've seen several people on here and in the discussion groups claim to believe in hell and believe that not accepting Jesus is the sure way to get there, and then claim to know and love a non-believer who has passed away. They believe that person is in hell (unless they repented at the last minute...which to me is wishful thinking).

So, I have a question to those in that situation...or those who know a non-believer who is not dead yet... How can you sleep at night picturing someone you love in hell? Hell is supposed to be burning and torturing and depression. How do you think fondly of someone's memory when you "know" they are probably tied to a stake being burned over and over? Or do you just block it out? And how in the world do you still praise your God for allowing this? (Yes, I KNOW he doesn't SEND people there, but he's still "all-powerful"...that means he's ALLOWING it!)

metalcowgirl34

Asked by metalcowgirl34 at 12:59 PM on Aug. 1, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• MCG--here's the deal, at least as I see it...the more "liberal" christians either don't believe in hell, or they believe that God's net of salvation is much larger than spelled out in the Bible (which says that Jesus is the ONLY way). More "fundamentalist" type Christians DO believe that "unsaved" people--including some of their friends and relatives--are in hell, and they do feel sorrowful about it. However, they do not blame God for it at all.Here's an analogy to help explain this point of view: let's say one of your friends has a deadly disease, and the cure is a simple dose of meds, antibiotics or whatever. But your friend will not take them. For whatever reason, she either doesn't believe they work, or that the doctor actually has the meds, or that it's the right cure for her, etc. So she ends up dying. Well, you can't be mad at the doctor--he DID offer the cure and friend refused it. Thats how many Xtians see God & Hell.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:47 AM on Aug. 2, 2009

• BTW, I'm an atheist. I'm not trying to start a fight....I just really don't get how people can think this way.
    metalcowgirl34

Answer by metalcowgirl34 at 1:00 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• Yes my MIL
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:07 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• lmao, anon, I could think of a relative of mine, I would enjoy seeing in hell. lol.

but on a serious note: I would never believe in a place like that. (especially since the meaning of hell has changed a multiple number of times along with the description)
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 1:13 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• I am agnostic, I think. I believe in God but the rest of it is just a lot of fiction, IMO. So when I hear someone discuss Hell and when someone says that "you won't go to heaven unless you accept Jesus Christ as your Savior", I get kinda upset. That seems to be a cold-hearted,judgemental and conceited way to think. I'm not sure there is a Heaven or a Hell and I am not going to try to make people feel bad just because they aren't Christian or don't believe that Jesus is a Savior. I think he was a wise man and everyone made up stories about him. If there IS a Hell, then I hope Hitler is down there!!!
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 1:15 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• I do believe in hell because Jesus taught so much about it and what it would be like. I do believe that the disciples and the early church understood the reality of hell as well and that is why they lived their lives in a way to "save" as many people from going there as possible, even giving up their own lives. If there was no hell, there would be no need for evangelism.

I don't know if any of my loved ones are there. Most of my deceased family professed some level of faith in Jesus. I can't judge where their heart were really at. The only one I would really wonder about would be my mom's dad. But at the same time he did have a basic identification with the faith; he would tell you he was a Christian (you just wouldn't be able to tell from how he lived, LOL). But I don't ever sit around picturing him in hell. I mostly hope that God's grace is bigger than his failures and that he had a real faith in God.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 1:24 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• My mother is a very devout evangelical Christian. She has lived next door to an older lady for the last 10 years or so. This old lady-C- has been an agnostic/atheist her whole life. My mother has "witnessed" to her over the years, but not so much that she has pushed C away. Last year, C was diagnosed w/ terminal cancer. My mother was devastated, not only because of the "death sentence" but because C was not a Christian. C ended up in hospice for the last couple of months of her life, and my mother stayed with her quite a bit. Toward the end of C's life, my mother started getting really persistent, almost pushy, IMO. I mean, this was a 80-something year old woman who KNEW what her beliefs were. Anyway, my mom went nuts trying to get C to "repent" & get "saved". I don't think it happened the way mom wanted it too, and since C died a few weeks ago, my mom has been VERY depressed. I've barely spoken to her. She's really torn up.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:25 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• Everyone's in Hel and it's a hell of a party
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:25 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• I am agnostic, I think. I believe in God but the rest of it is just a lot of fiction, IMO

That would technically be a loose definition of a Theist or a Deist. Agnostic is one who believes that the existence or a god is unknowable. "there may be one, there may not be one, but there is no way to prove either"
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 1:26 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• "Hell is supposed to be burning and torturing and depression."

While this is still the pop-culture view of Hell, it is no longer the view most Christians hold of Hell. What you hear/read most often now is that Hell is simply eternity spent being denied the presence of God. It seems to me that the view of Hell has gone back to the ancient views of the underworld seen in much of Western Civilization as a place that is rather empty & meaningless. This would still be an unpleasant thought for believers, but at least they don't have to imagine horrible torture for their loved ones anymore - for the most part, some of course do still believe in a burning land of terror and pain. Of course this is just my impression based on expressed opinions & philosophical writings, I don't actually believe in Hell or anything like it.
    nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 1:28 PM on Aug. 1, 2009