HELP, Getting my 17 month old off the bottle?

My son will not drink from sippie cups, he will drink from the playtex straw cups but wont drink milk from anything but his bottle, what do I do? I want him to get the milk and nutrients he needs but he will not drink it from anything else?? Any thoughts/tips/ideas???

Rebecca25

Asked by Rebecca25 at 1:12 PM on Aug. 1, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Sorry a little more detail, once they enjoy drinking from the cup I would start by putting milk in the cups too, like it was an accident. "Oops mommy forgot you bobby, guess you can use your cup today." Eventually I always forgot the cup. Sometimes the best tool we have as a mom is deception.
    sarabethdo

Answer by sarabethdo at 1:44 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• Most people will say, just take his bottles and deal with him crying...

Personally.. my daughter still gets her pediasure and rice milk from a bottle.. She's kinda phasing them out on her own. *shrugs* tis just how we do it :)
    Skye-Angel

Answer by Skye-Angel at 1:14 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• Same here. He won't be on the bottle forever. You just have to persuade him that cups are for big boys and bottles are for babies. Then say, "Are you a big boy or a baby?" That's what I do with my daughter. Sometimes she'll take a cup after I say that, but then she'll come back for the bottle. lol
    Imogine

Answer by Imogine at 1:19 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• With my kids...I only allowed milk or water in the bottle! Juices and the good stuff came from a cup, eventually they got the idea and liked the cup better. Consistancy is the key you can't give in even once.
    sarabethdo

Answer by sarabethdo at 1:41 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• Fill the bottle with water only! The sippy cup with milk. My firned is having a hard time to but this worked! My son will drink from anything during the day he still has his night bottle so we are working on that lol!!
    momavanessa

Answer by momavanessa at 1:42 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• Just throw out the bottles. He will learn to drink from the cups if that's all you are presenting.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:04 PM on Aug. 1, 2009