Do people that commit suicide go to hell?

I myself don't know which I believe. I'm kind of torn. A girl i know commited suicide by hanging herself in her room, and her Dad found her. and I havent been able to get it out of my head...

MomNbabyGirl009

Asked by MomNbabyGirl009 at 1:34 PM on Aug. 1, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• God is forgiving!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:36 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• I wouldn't presume to know where anybody went after they died no matter how it happened, so I don't know. I know in the Bible it warns against killing yourself but only God can judge and only He knows where each individual belongs.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:39 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• Im not sure where the scripture is found but I believe in the bible it says you do. I personally believe that circumstances that may have influenced such a decision will also be taken into consideration when passing thru the gates...I agree with Anon 1:36 (above) Gods heart is of love so he would want to know the reason this child felt so compelled. So YES, I believe a suicide can go to heaven. Especially a child. How horribly sad. God bless her, her family, you & her friends.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:47 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• Here is what the Catholic Catechism says about suicide.

2280 Everyone is responsible for his life before God who has given it to him. It is God who remains the sovereign Master of life. We are obliged to accept life gratefully and preserve it for his honor and the salvation of our souls. We are stewards, not owners, of the life God has entrusted to us. It is not ours to dispose of.

2281 Suicide contradicts the natural inclination of the human being to preserve and perpetuate his life. It is gravely contrary to the just love of self. It likewise offends love of neighbor because it unjustly breaks the ties of solidarity with family, nation, and other human societies to which we continue to have obligations. Suicide is contrary to love for the living God.

Littlebit722

Answer by Littlebit722 at 2:11 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• CONT'D...

2282 If suicide is committed with the intention of setting an example, especially to the young, it also takes on the gravity of scandal. Voluntary co-operation in suicide is contrary to the moral law.

Grave psychological disturbances, anguish, or grave fear of hardship, suffering, or torture can diminish the responsibility of the one committing suicide.

2283 We should not despair of the eternal salvation of persons who have taken their own lives. By ways known to him alone, God can provide the opportunity for salutary repentance. The Church prays for persons who have taken their own lives.

Littlebit722

Answer by Littlebit722 at 2:12 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• No, a Christian who comits suicide does not go to hell. There is no sin that renders Jesus Christ powerless to forgive.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 4:27 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• I agree with November. If someone is a Christian when they die then they go to heaven.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 5:49 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• personally I believe that if you commit suicide, you go to hell. No matter what you do on this earth God is always there to forgive you. BUT if you take your own life, you are taking away what God has given you. You can commit murder and repent and ask everyday for forgiveness, it is up to God if he forgives you or not....but if you commit suicide, you have not chance to repent and ask for forgiveness. You let satan straight talk you into it and personally I believe once you end your life, You close God out of your heart.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:58 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• I agree with Novemberlove and teamquinn. Jesus forgives all of our sins, even the ones we haven't committed yet. He even died for suicide.

Here is a link to an article from the Christian Apologetics Research Ministry (CARM) that should more than answer all of your questions. If a Christian Committs Suicide is He Still Forgiven? 

I hope you can find some peace of mind in regards to this : )

Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 7:34 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• There are people with mental illnesses that commit suicide. Like the catechism says, "Grave psychological disturbances, anguish, or grave fear of hardship, suffering, or torture can diminish the responsibility of the one committing suicide".

So I don't think it necessarily means that if you commit suicide you go directly to Hell. God knows what was in your mind and heart and He can forgive you and give you grace to go to Heaven.
    Littlebit722

Answer by Littlebit722 at 8:08 PM on Aug. 1, 2009