Did anyone have a hard time with their child starting kindergarten?

sharug01

Asked by sharug01 at 1:38 PM on Aug. 1, 2009 in

• I'm having my first, so I can't help you from a primary perspective. But a colleague of mine told me she ended up crying her eyes out the day her daughter went to kingdergarten for the first time. The daughter is now 16, but when she was little, my friend stayed home with her, and didn't go to preschool. The first day of kindergarten was the first time they were apart, and it was tough-- more so for mom and the daughter. The daughter had a great time, and loved making new friends.

Starting kindergarten was also another reminder to my friend that her little girl-- and only child-- was growing up!
    Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 1:44 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• I have a 5 year old starting kindergarten this year and also my twins start pre k this year im worried but i know its just another stage of life...
    0MyNameIsMom0

Answer by 0MyNameIsMom0 at 4:57 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• Never bothered me. I've done it 3 times and each time I was super excited and couldn't wait for them to go and have fun. The hardest was probably my son. Not because of my emotions but my because of my youngest daughter. She was 17 months at the time and very attached to her big brother. In fact they were nearly inseparable. She screamed for him all the way home after we dropped him off and the whole rest of the day she wandered around the house calling his name and looking for him. It took her a week to adjust to him not being around all day. It was hard to see her so upset about it. Now, 2 years later he's going into 2nd grade and she's starting preschool. She can't wait to go and she doesn't mind when all the other kids go to school and it's just me and her at home. She likes it because she gets control of the TV and can watch all the Noggin she wants, lol.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 6:53 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• I cried when all my kids started. Just the looks on their faces like little lost sheep broke my heart. Of course i think it's harder on moms than the kids. LOLLL My twins start this fall and this is the first time their dad has school aged kids. So he is all excited about it, cracks me up. I just love how he wants to be so involved in their schooling. He's trying to reroute his schedule at work so he can take off for the orientation day in two weeks. LOL I'm looking forward to volunteering in the classroom too and making treats for holidays and birthday. Will be fun.
    CinderAmethyst

Answer by CinderAmethyst at 10:10 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• Kindergarten?? I cant stand it EVERY YEAR when school starts back up!!!
    Melindakc

Answer by Melindakc at 12:36 AM on Aug. 2, 2009

• Mine is starting this year and I'm confident that we explain how to handle different situations well enough for her to adjust. She's great with people and very smart, so I know she'll be successful. I will miss her, but I'll have a new baby to take care of during that time.

The only problem is she had a hard time potty training and she can hold her pee, but hides and poops her pants and then gets embarrassed and doesn't tell anyone. That's worrying me.

Also, the fact that illness spreads soo rapidly when kids are in that setting. I can't be there to make her sanitize her hands after touching everything and keep her away from the sick kids. With everything going around, it makes me a little nervous.

Other than that, we're fine and she's excited to be a big girl! Besides, it's less than a block away, so I can be there if she needs me.
    tcarter1981

Answer by tcarter1981 at 1:25 AM on Aug. 2, 2009

• I teach K. My best advice is to leave your child after a kiss, hug, and reminder of when you will return for pick-up. Even if your child cries that typically stops within minutes of the parent leaving. If you are upset and the child sees it makes it worse. Take you cry to the car. It is a hard transition--for parents more than kids I promise. Remember that kids and parents take some time adjusting. This is a new milestone. Kids may cry everyday for a few minutes, say they want to go home and be with you. You may cry too, but please keep it private. Good teachers really do calm the kids and the kids love school!!!!! That first month of school is the hardest for kids, parents, and the K teacher.

Teachermom01

Answer by Teachermom01 at 9:08 AM on Aug. 3, 2009

• You are normal, relax and enjoy another milestone in your kids life!
    wildboyz1994

Answer by wildboyz1994 at 9:31 AM on Aug. 3, 2009

• Cried all the way home! BUT don't cry in front of them..just scares them.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:10 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

Next question in
5th grade

Next question overall (Relationships)
What to do with my SO's mother..