why does my breast milk look watery?

I started to notice my breast milk look watery. What from or why? It has always looked real thick & milky. Is it normal? My daughter is 3wks 5days old. And I only BF/pump.

MamaCole

Asked by MamaCole at 1:39 PM on Aug. 1, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It's normal. When you nurse the baby gets the fore-milk, which is mostly water to quench their thirst and then they get the hind-milk which is the thinker, fattier stuff. So when you pump it gets mixed and looks more watery.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:41 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• its normal, mine looks like that too. mine was real thick at first too...
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 1:41 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• LOL, that's supposed to say "thicker" not thinker. The first milk BTW, colostrum is nice and thick too so if you're used to seeing that it will look different to you as well.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:44 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• the watery milk is probably alot of foremilk which is thin... so if you are pumping make sure you pump a long enough time to get the hind milk which is thicker and white... and when you breastfeed keep your baby on one breast per feeding so she gets enough hind milk
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 2:05 PM on Aug. 1, 2009