4 mo old breastfed baby no BM in 5-6 days

My breastfed 4 mo old does not seem distressed but has terrible smelling gas, a lot of it, and eating well, but no BM in 5-6 days. Have tried juice mixed with water, no help there. Is she constipated?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:59 PM on Aug. 1, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Probably not constipated. Give it time. My son used to only poop once/week at 7-8 days he would get uncomfortable and we would help him go by.... rubbing his tummy, rectal stimulation and often times a suppository. Around 6 months he started to go more often.
    I was worried at first too... but my pediatrician said a breast fed baby can go 2 weeks without pooping and it's fine and to only do something about it if he was uncomfortable.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 2:02 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• my DS is almost 4mos, and we tried 3 drops of prune juice. It worked within 8 hrs.
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 2:44 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• Its totally normal. Breastfed babies use all of the breast milk, so there is hardly any waste. My DS averaged a BM every 8-10 days when he was EBF, he didn't start having one everyday until we started solids.
    sybanshee

Answer by sybanshee at 2:56 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• EBF babies can go up to 10ish days without a bowel movement, as long as the end result is not dry hard or pellet like.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 3:15 PM on Aug. 1, 2009