GYMNASTICS OR BALLET CLASS FOR TODDLERS

I am looking for a ballet or gymnastics class for my 4 year old. I've found that the classes are for once a week for $50-$60 a month, they are more if you want the class for more than once a week. To me that is expensive because I am thinking what can she really learn once a week for an hour. And some of them have a one time tuition fee on top of that. Am I just being cheap, which I am cheap, or is this pretty much the norm? I just found out she can't go to Pre K because my income was over the accepted amount and my son may qualify for their special education class due to his speech delay so I really wanted her to have something for herself because I think she will not be ok with him going to school and shes not. Your thoughts would be much appreciated.

momoftwokids547

Asked by momoftwokids547 at 1:59 PM on Aug. 1, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Gymnastics and ballet are very expensive sports to do for your children because they require a lot of one on one, its not a team sport like soccer.
    Dom123123

Answer by Dom123123 at 2:05 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• We payed the first month for a tuition fee, then after that its called a combined class for 45 mins every tues and its 50.00 a month. I didnt think it was that bad but its tumble ( gymnastics) , ballet and tap. Well they require a certain brand of shoe, for each except gym, then she has to have a certain freakin color tap shoes which in her size is hard to find! lol.. this is where it gets expensive but its well worth it she has tons of energy and she loves it shes 2 1/2. They are expensive tho. She will have a blast if you can make your self dish out the money Its hard!
    Vannahbugsmommy

Answer by Vannahbugsmommy at 3:05 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• Two of my four children take dance. My five year old is in ballet and tap I and my 12 year old takes modern. The lessons are once a week for an hour. They take the lessons from August to June when the recital is. The recital is so fun and it is so amazing to watch them dance. This is my 12 year olds third year and my 5 year olds second year. The lessons are $45 a month and $35 a month, so it is $80 a month all together. That is not too bad. You have to pay a $25 registration fee for each child when you sign them up. Another thing that is kind of expensive about dance is the costume fees. They are around $65 a piece and have to be paid by the first of October. Then of course there are shoes..ballet shoes, tap shoes, jazz shoes or little toe undies for other types of dance. I don't know about everywhere else but these p It can be expensive but it is really good for them and my girls really love it.
    AmandaB9466

Answer by AmandaB9466 at 3:07 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• thanks ladies, i don't know why but i wasn't thinking about all the items that go along with the classes, like the costumes, shoes and etc. i still would have figured it would be more than once a week so maybe i will consider since that seems to be the norm.
    momoftwokids547

Answer by momoftwokids547 at 5:00 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• I know that my son's class is $45 a month - but it's also through his preschool, so class is in the same building. It's one hour a week - he's only 4, so this suits him just fine. It's a great way, IMO, to introduce little ones to the idea of dance and creative body movement. We don't have to buy costumes or special shoes (at least, I don't for my son). Even at the recitals, there's no requirement that the kids wear special dance clothes - the teachers help make costume parts and only ask parents that the kids wear certain clothes or styles, but it's not a requirement. The focus is on the kids learning and having fun, not on clothes and looks.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 5:09 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• that is pretty standard for my area (Minneapolis MN)
    Sooooo worth the financial strain, gymnastics. they get a sense of accomplishment like nothing else. it's nice $$$$ wise since they can wear shorts/sweats. there is no additional cost for uniforms, costumes
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 6:47 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• My three year old niece has been in ballet for a year now... she LOVES it... And we all love it too... I'm not sure what my sister pays though
    momma_marian

Answer by momma_marian at 9:19 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• Daughter took 45 minutes once a week of tap/ballet at $45 a month. Ballet shoes $35 a pair (bought 2 pair in one year) tap shoes $35 (bought 2 pair also) she out grew them, Some places require particular colors for leotards and shoes. Had all pink everything (long sleeved and short sleeved leotards and coverups). Some studios will stipulate your littler dancer must have coverup entering and exiting studio.Had to purchase special leotard for parades. Special $25 dance tights(2 pair) for recital. Not to mention 2 costumes for recital at $100, dance studio pictures and dvd of recital performance (since no cameras were allowed at recital)
    Mayhaps, karate with one belt and karate outfit sounds interesting...
    1floridanative

Answer by 1floridanative at 10:53 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• i think you may be right, perhaps karate is the way to go.

thx
    momoftwokids547

Answer by momoftwokids547 at 12:38 AM on Aug. 2, 2009

• My 3 year old is currently in gymnastics, and she takes it through our park district for 45$ for about 5 weeks. She also begins ballet in the fall through our park district, and its also once a week, and its 35$. It requires ballet shoes, which I found at Payless for $16.99 . For ballet their is a mandatory outfit required, the ballet shoes, tights, etc. But the gymnastics class is great because nothing is required aside from payment for the class (the 45$).
    x_hysteria

Answer by x_hysteria at 4:28 PM on Aug. 2, 2009