Is there an age that you would actually "kick" your kids out of the house?

If there a certain age where you would just refuse to support your kids after? If so, what age?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:00 PM on Aug. 1, 2009 in General Parenting

• I don't have an age. I will allow them to live at home and go to college. Once they graduate, they need to find a job and move out.
    LolaCherryCola

Answer by LolaCherryCola at 2:02 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• No. After my children graduated from college, they were able to afford to live on their own. My oldest daughter lived with me for a while and paid rent. It never occurred to me that I should "kick them out". LOL. If they pay rent and cooperate and help with the housework,etc. then they would be good company.
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 2:10 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• I was living with my parents after college but they made me move out. I had other reasons I needed to move out but they didn't want me there anymore. I am so glad I did.
    robinsi2000

Answer by robinsi2000 at 2:11 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• 18. I don't believe in enabling children so they don't know how to do any thing themself. When she is 17 we will be talking about it. Don't get us wrong our house is always open for our daughter however there is no reason that a capable adult with a job, and going to school, needs to be at home. She is an adult and can take care of herself. But we will always be there for advice or if she wants to work for money. Teenagers and pre adults just don't have the responsibility that they once did, sure don't have the work ethic either. :(
    Glickstein

Answer by Glickstein at 2:15 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• Yes. After high school they have to either go to college or work and pay me rent. Otherwise they are out.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 2:32 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• If they are 18 and not in school, and running around all night, sleeping all day, no respect, no regard then yeah they can move on.
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 2:37 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• It depends on the child and the situation. My 29 year old son was in a car accident when he was in college. His head was smashed by a truck. It was a freak accident like you would see on a tv show. His head was put back together and he had who know what brain damage. He couldn't finish college. He had some personality changes.

Since then he hasn't had much ambition and has had trouble when he has tried to live alone. He calls into work sick. Can't keep a job. He is smart and has been working as a phlebotomist. He had been living with me and my youngest son for about a year and doing Ok at his job at a hospital. He has a cute girlfriend he really loves and he treats women well.

He gave me over half his check for rent, use of a vehicle, and some food. He just quit his job and went to live with his girlfriend in California while she is in nursing school. It was all planned. I hope it works out and she puts up with him.
    GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 2:46 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• If my son lives with me for the rest of his life, I won't mind. But he is in my house, so it's my rules. He would have to contribute, I would never allow him to just sit on his rear end all day. But he's only two right now. So...I don't see this being a problem for us anytime soon. I imagine that he'll want to do his own thing in the future.
    Guaranteed

Answer by Guaranteed at 3:26 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• our rule will be that they either have to have a job and be contributing to the household, helping with bills, groceries, cleaning etc....or in college. no sitting around not working not doing anything but partying. if they are in college, i'd rather them have to worry about studying for an exam rather than having to pull a double shift to keep the electric on or pay the rent.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 4:19 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• No. Like almost everything else I believe in as regards raising my son, age shouldn't matter. When my son is older than "legal" age, he may continue to live with me so long as it's the best choice for both of us - whatever the circumstances of our future life is, we don't know. For instance, I lived with my parents until 23 (either in college or working), then moved in with my sister, then after my dad died a year later, moved back in with my mom to take care of her for 9 years until she died. So planning that far ahead (my son is only 4) would be ridiculous, IMO, given that we have no idea what the future holds.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 5:02 PM on Aug. 1, 2009