starting solids (cereal)

Hi,
I will be starting my baby on solids very soon.
Do people generally give their baby something new every week? for example, I will start her with rice cereal, then should I try a different cereal the next week, and then another cereal the following week until she's tried all the different ones... and then move on to fruit, etc?
Any recommendations on what to add when would be great!
thanks!

KellyJC

Asked by KellyJC at 2:07 PM on Aug. 1, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I have the "What to Expect The 1st Year" book, and it says keep the baby on rice cereal only from 4 to 6 mon, and than start introducing a new food every few days, but only veggies and fruit and cereals first. But they recommend every few days with a new food just to make sure there's not an allergic reaction to a food.
    Just an idea though, everyone's different!
    jmpeskie

Answer by jmpeskie at 2:18 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• I'd skip cereal. It's just artificial iron fortified flakes of preservatives. Not really healthy. Wait til baby is sitting up alone and has a few teeth before you introduce solids. 6 months is just a minimum. Start w/ veggies so she doesn't become too accustomed to sweet fruits. Wait a few days before any new foods so you can catch any allergies that might come up. Until baby is a year, always offer milk before solids since that's where their primary source of nutrition comes from. There's really no need for solids now.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 3:00 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• Cereal is pretty icky stuff that a lot of babies reject. But your schedule is fine. Try it with mashed banana, then avocado, then peas, green beans, and so on. You never need buy "baby food." Just whatever you eat yourself. Solids are no big deal, really.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:16 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• heres great info on starting solids...
    http://www.askdrsears.com/html/3/T032000.asp
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 5:10 PM on Aug. 1, 2009