Spinoff of Stvmen and BB's questions: Would you renounce your faith,

Would you deny your beliefs if it meant that you would save another. For example someone has a gun at your head and another's. He tells you to renounce your faith or the other person dies, but in doing so you would be the one to die. What do you do? What if the person was of a different religious belief?

KristiS11384

Asked by KristiS11384 at 2:08 PM on Aug. 1, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Jesus said in the Bible "Greater love hath no man than to lay down his life for his friend." I don't see how laying your life down to save another would renounce your faith. Jesus did it for all of us,and it didn't change His beliefs or His faith. In fact, it probably made them stronger. But, to answer, I would in fact, lay down my life to save someone else, but I don't think it would mean renouncing my faith.
    stvmen88

Answer by stvmen88 at 3:36 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• Should it come to a choice between my life or another's I would give my life so that they might be saved.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 2:12 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• He tells you to renounce your faith or the other person dies, but in doing so you would be the one to die.

This confuses me slightly. If I renounce my faith I would die, but if I don't someone else will? Kinda screwed either way then, right?

I am farily certain I would outwardly renounce my religion to save myself or others in the short-term. If I had to I would work underground to protect my right to my own religion, but simply publicly renouncing my religion under duress would seem the smart thing to me & wouldn't matter at all in the long run (for my own personal spirituality).
    nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 2:15 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• This confuses me slightly. If I renounce my faith I would die, but if I don't someone else will? Kinda screwed either way then, right?

True, it is screwed up. It is a sacrifice yourself for another or sacrifice another for yourself question (which is completely morbid). I choose to sacrifice myself for another because their life is not mine to give. My life is.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 2:19 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• honestly.. it would depend on the other individual.

Call me cold all you want.. but it's dog eat dog, and if you are someone that has shown hatred or dislike for me, I'd choose myself and my beliefs.

Now if I know nothing about you, and I didn't have a DD at home. Yes, I probably would die in your place. If I loved or liked you, there would be no hesitation. Just remember what I did for you though. Or I'll come back and haunt your butt, lol.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 2:23 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• Okay well if it was someone like Fred Phelps I would probably let him take the bullet.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 2:26 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• That is a super complex crazy question. LOL. Wow.

Uhm. I think when it comes to this question there is a higher law that the Lord would have me adhere to. And that is to glorify the name of God. I would choose to follow in the examples set before me by the hero's of the faith and hold onto my faith in God no matter what.

And the truth is that this has happened before, recently. A man had his two sons beheaded in Somalia because he wouldn't sell out the Lord. I think that most people know that it is easier for us to give up our lives but we would rather save the people we love. So they use that choice to make the decision even harder.

I think the issue is still the same --who are you going let control your life, a man with a gun or the Lord who holds your whole life in your hand. I don't want my decisions be controlled by wicked people.

The Bible says not to let the fear of man control us, to live for God.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 2:29 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• The bible says to lay down your life for your friends... I would give up my life and not deny my faith so the other could live.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 2:29 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• Yes now that I understand someone is dying either way I have to say it would depend. The renunciation of faith wouldn't play into it for me, I would die for someone I cared about or someone who I believed it was more important they lived, but probably not for a stranger & definately not someone I felt didn't deserve saving (a "bad" person).
    nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 2:31 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• Here are a few verses that I thought of when answering the question.
    "But none of these things move me; nor do I count my life dear to myself, so that I may finish my race with joy, and the ministry which I received from the Lord Jesus, to testify to the gospel of the grace of God." Acts 20:24 -- my purpose in this life is ONLY to testify to the gospel of the grace of God.

"Don't be afraid of those who want to kill you. They can only kill your body; they cannot touch your soul. Fear only God, who can destroy both soul and body in hell." Matthew 10:28 -- I need to make my choices based on honoring God not because I am afraid someone will do something bad.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 2:35 PM on Aug. 1, 2009