Breastfeeding While Pregnant

Is it safe to do? My dd is over a year old and still nurses and I just found out I'm pregnant. I know that nursing can cause uterine contractions so I'm a little worried about that for later in the pregnancy. This baby will be born by c-section as my previous 3 have been and with a situation like that they don't like you to go into labor because of the risk of rupture etc. I'll be speaking to my doctor about this, but just wondering if anybody here has had a similar experience or what you know about breastfeeding while pregnant. If it's safe, I'd rather not stop nursing my daughter just yet as she's not showing any signs that she's ready to stop. (I have to say that I have NEVER been so hungry in my life!)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:08 PM on Aug. 1, 2009 in Pregnancy

• It's safe to nurse during pregnancy and then you can continue to nurse the older child and the baby. Your body will make milk that is appropriate for the baby.

Doctors may know little about breastfeeding, especially your OB. They may get little or no training in medical school. La Leche League has info and there are two other websites you can go to www.kellymom.com and www.mothering.com discussion boards.

Your nipples may be tender and it may seem your milk dries up. You do need extra calories if you are making milk. I breastfed through a pregnancy with little discomfort and then nursed both of them. The older brother had allergies and asthma and breastmilk helped him.
    GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 2:23 PM on Aug. 1, 2009