just wondering: is laying a baby on its side bad?

I was thinking of buying a sleep positioner

my mom said that laying the baby on his side wouldnt be bad because she used to do it with us and put a rolled up blanket behind our backs for stablity.

Any other moms do this? Is there any great risk?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:32 PM on Aug. 1, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My DS prefers on his side. I lay him down to fall asleep on his back around 9pm, and he will wake himself up around 430am. I give him a paci and roll him to his side and he goes back to sleep until close to 10am. He's almost 4mos, and can hold himself on his side. We did use a rolled blanket to support him until he could do it himself.

We tried the positioner too because he rolled at 9wks, and 2-4 weeks later, he got to where he was scootching down under the blanket. So we took the foam wedge out of the positioner, put a bedpad on the wedge, and lay him on it to sleep ever-so-slightly elevated.
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 2:43 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• yea I do that, baby is fine as long as you go in and check on him just like you normally would anyway.

Apr1l

Answer by Apr1l at 2:33 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• I did it - but also went crazy thinking it wasn't safe. All the books tell you back, but my son hated the back. Back to sleep is the safest for babies, so I can't tell you what to do. I went crazy in the early months, but he rolled over very early so I didn't worry over it too much. Try everything and see what works.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:38 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• I'm not sure, but I never felt safe doing it at night. But it is good for them to be in different positions. at night i had a sleep positioner for all three of mine. then during the day i would alternate putting them on their side and tummy and keep an eye on them.
    pat7879

Answer by pat7879 at 2:40 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• It depends on how you feel about it, and if the baby will do it. Ours wouldn't, so it was bad. They much preferred their stomachs.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 3:22 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• my daughter sleeps on her side every night.
    bluerose26

Answer by bluerose26 at 4:05 PM on Aug. 1, 2009