How can I get my 17 month old to eat things whole?

Like half grilled cheeses and certain cookies, he wont take bites he just tries to stuff the whole thing in his mouth and im afraid he is going to choke and i try to stop him and it turns into a huge ordeal. Anyone have thoughts/ideas/tips?

Rebecca25

Asked by Rebecca25 at 3:18 PM on Aug. 1, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My mom says not to worry about it, he'll eat if he's hungry, and to remember that toddlers live on air .
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:31 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• I just offer food that can be either finger foods or spoon food like chili and put it in my son's tray with a spoon. Good luck, and don't sweat it. Feed ya child what they likes and try new stuff when you can...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:33 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• If he is shoving the whole thing in his mouth he isn't ready for whole pieces yet. Just keep cutting it up and try whole things in a couple of months.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 3:34 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• When it comes to that just cut of the food before he even sees it. Never give it to him whole or he will always want to stuff the whole thing in his mouth. My son does the same thing and I was so afraid he may choke. He wanted to be a big boy and do things himself so trying to take it way and help him eat it in smaller bits never worked. But if I went to the kitchen and cut up his food while he is playing or watching amovie and he doesnt notice he will eat his food in smaller bits. Finger food work well too. Good Luck.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:36 PM on Aug. 1, 2009