• In the Spotlight:

How do I prepare my 3 year old for preschool?

I'm going back to work in a few weeks and my son has never had to go to daycare or a babysitter. He is very attached to me and I don't know how to prepare him for such a big change. Anyone have any advice?

jmoreno286

Asked by jmoreno286 at 3:28 PM on Aug. 1, 2009 in General Parenting

• Could you start him a week earlier for a shorter period of time, or not every day? To ease him in.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 3:37 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• Take him for a visit the week before; we did this with my daughter, and she didn't stop taking about how much fun it was.

Answer by rkoloms at 4:56 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• Try to find ways for him to participate in some things with other kids. Read books about school. Talk about school and what kinds of things will happen. Make it exciting.

There will be days when he will not want to go, clearly he has to. There are bound to be bad days, but he has to learn that he has to go to school and can't get out of it.

My oldest started HeadStart at 3 and did a great job, she loved school, but there were bad days here and there when she was somewhat less than thrilled to be going to school. Over all though, she loved it and did a great job.

Prior to that she had spent a little time in daycare but not much and nursery in church. It was a pretty big transition for her, but it worked out really well.
    WillDoDa

Answer by WillDoDa at 6:05 PM on Aug. 1, 2009