Just found out my son has ADD and can't take the medication. Any ideas.

He cant swallow the pill. Its a time release so I can't crush it up. We have tried every other avenue as far as I know. The pill isn't big at all. Medication seems to be the only thing left. Help!

JJADARIEN

Asked by JJADARIEN at 3:45 PM on Aug. 1, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• ask your doc bout diff meds...there are a lot out there...and several you CAN crush....
    blueeyedgrl2377

Answer by blueeyedgrl2377 at 3:49 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• http://www.biogetica.com/cure-adhd.php?gclid=CImw05Ceg5wCFQ7xDAodXWr4_A
    Try this site it may help with your issue.........Good Luck and Hope this helps you greatly.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:54 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• Put it in his food.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:52 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• Some of the meds like risperal (which a new study has shown is really bad for kids) have a liquid alternative, you just have to remind the doctor to write the script for it. In fact alot of ADD ADHD drugs are bad for kids, and you should either switch doctors or see if there's a better way, such as therapy or herbal alternatives.
    mumma28

Answer by mumma28 at 9:15 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• Try Vyvanse, it is time release but in a form that can be pulled open and the meds sprinkle in a teaspoon of applesauce. Ritalin also has one like that. I had to do that for my son until he learned to swallow a pill. We taught him to swallow a pill using M&M's. Vyvanse is the best pill for ADHD/ADD that my son has been on, few side affects and he actually gained weight on it. Don't feel bad about putting him on meds either, sometimes that is the only thing that works.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:12 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• My son started meds at an early age and couldnt swallow the pill yet. We were told to put it in a spoonful of applesauce and have him take it that way.. It worked like a charm for 8 years. Never a problem. He has just recently started being able to swallow the pills with just water.
    Melindakc

Answer by Melindakc at 12:25 AM on Aug. 2, 2009

• dont just jump to meds when one problem arises seriously add meds fuck you up, i know from experience i WAS your kid once, i was young with "adhd" put on every med in the book nothing worked and i suffered serious side affects that caused more meds to be "needed" add is something you can grow out of, if you take the time to teach him how to calm himself down and focus he will be much better off, avoid refined sugars, anything caffeinated, highly processed foods, try yoga that helps A LOT with add
    rozepyle

Answer by rozepyle at 11:03 AM on Aug. 2, 2009

• have you tried yoga? have your tried E.M.D.R.? have you tried relaxation excersizes? have you tried cutting out all sugars and processed foods?
    rozepyle

Answer by rozepyle at 11:04 AM on Aug. 2, 2009

• I agree talk to your doctor about 'play therapy' and cutting out high fructose corn syrup and red dye. See if she thinks these may be valid options for you to try with your son. How old is your son? did they try any alternatives to meds before starting them? I'm not saying that every kid with AD(H)D doesn't ever need meds, I just think that there are a lot of non med things you can try first. There may be a reason your dr. didn't recommend any but I would want to ask if it was me.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:24 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• When my son started medication we practiced with tic-tacs. but use the orange ones so they don't burn his throat

trying2survive

Answer by trying2survive at 1:43 PM on Aug. 2, 2009