36 weeks and 2 days CAT SCRATCHED MY STOMACH HELP!!

ok my cat ever since i was little has had to split personalities.one second hell be fine and let you pet him and then the next hell attack you.well he only does it to me he doesnt do it to anyone else.well i was sitting on the couch and he jumped on my stomach scratched me in 3 places and i have a bite mark by my shoulder.i swear i wanna strangle him.my main question is will it hurt or affect the baby?thanks 2 all who answer.

Desi2Sweet

Asked by Desi2Sweet at 3:55 PM on Aug. 1, 2009 in Pregnancy

• You should be fine as long as his claws were clean. The thing about cats and pregnancy is their litter box.. their poop can transfer disease and pregnant women are susceptible to it.
    motherofanaries

Answer by motherofanaries at 3:57 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• http://www.cdc.gov/HEALTHYPETS/diseases/catscratch.htm
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:00 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• I am thinking that the problem wouldn't be that he'd scratched your stomach, since the womb is well-protected and if the scratch were deep enough to touch it you'd know, but whether you have gotten cat scratch disease or tetanus or infection from the scratch, wherever it was. All very unlikely but not impossible. So watch out for all the the scratches and the bites for signs of infection, mainly. To be completely safe get checked out by a doctor, and then you won't need to worry at all. Also I'd wash the areas carefully, which I assume you already have, and put antibiotic cream and bandaids on them to help healing.

Answer by Bmat at 4:17 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• Ok, Do not jump to conclusions, or get scared, but I am gonna tell you a story that happened to a friend of mine. She got scratched by a cat, and didn't properly clean the area after the scratch had occurred, a week later she was in the hospital almost dead, and the baby barley hanging on, they had to do emergency C-section to get the baby out 8 weeks early, and she had to have a blood transfusion. I would say if its an indoor cat, that is VERY clean, you should be fine... make sure you clean the area with peroxide VERY WELL daily until healed. I would call your OB just to let him know as well, as cats carry MANY things that can cause harm to a pregnant woman. Don't freak out, or get scared as I said above, this was an outdoor cat that scratched my friend, and she never took the time to clean the area after.

JnCV

Answer by JnCV at 8:52 PM on Aug. 1, 2009