at what age do you start doing tummy time

ALLIE637

Asked by ALLIE637 at 4:04 PM on Aug. 1, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• as soon as you can. when they are newborns just keep it to a few mins, or whenever they start to get mad about it. but not only does it help them learn to lift their heads, and eventually roll over and start to crawl, but it keeps their heads from getting flat. just lay them on their tummies on a blanket and get down there with them, talk to them etc...til they get mad.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 4:06 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• As soon as they can hold up their heads. They may not like it though, I could only give mine like ten minutes a couple times a day because they both cried. But its very good for them so i had to keep doing it.
    Iluvmygirlies42

Answer by Iluvmygirlies42 at 4:06 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• As soon as possible. I started putting my boys on their tummies at about 2 or 3 weeks, but only for a few minutes at a time though. As they got older I increased the amount of time they spent on their tummies.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:07 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• i started giving my daughter tummy time right off the bat
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 5:42 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• A good way to remember to do tummy time is to do it every time you change a diaper. You can just do it on the changing table or bed or floor, or whever you are changing them.

It does more than keep thier heads from getting flat. It is crucial for development! Things like speech can even be affected by NOT doing tummy time!

Some babies hate it, others don't mind so much. My little guy was pretty good. Just keep trying it, even if the baby hates it. They need it!
    Nika75

Answer by Nika75 at 6:37 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• My doctor had us do it as soon as the cord fell off.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 6:38 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• as soon as possible. maybe for only a few minutes at a time, and always supervised, but some every day.
    DrJChappell

Answer by DrJChappell at 6:59 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• As soon as the cord falls off. There's no reason to wait, and the longer you wait the more likely they are to dislike it.

They need tummy time to help develop their core strength..sitting, crawling and walking need strong cores.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:01 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• Emi got tummy time from BIRTH. I'd lay her on me tummy to tummy and she spent a lot of time there.
    Arisce

Answer by Arisce at 7:30 PM on Aug. 1, 2009