Serious Question: Are you a tissue/organ donor? Would you say your child is too?

just a general question to see what moms have to say. (yes its a semi-negative question yet im curious to know what mommies think) i mean you write a will and make sure your kids know what to do and dont do. But have you ever thought about it? I did I admit it. Flippin channels you always see about St Jude Children's Hospital....you end up thinking about it.
Are you an organ/tissue donor? If (God forbid something went wrong) would you let your baby be an organ/tissue donor?

i admit i am but i dont put it on my license anymore (due to years ago in chicago there were problems of killings all because people had it on their license, now my mom knows i am and so does the hubby). the only thing i cannot give up is my eyes. i know it could give someone sight but i think i might need them in the afterlife even if it is flesh and im a spirit lol.

as for my babies.......yes. except their eyes

JamieShay

Asked by JamieShay at 4:18 PM on Aug. 1, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I am. My children are not listed as tissue donors but if something were to happen to them that choice would revert to my husband and I and YES we would donate their tissues/organs.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 4:19 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• truth be told that i am. but its stipulated in my will that only children under 15 are able to receive my organs/tissues. MAIN REASON i chose this is because you see children dying while waitin for an organ when its passed over them and given to an adult like 45 yrs old +
    so if i go, i go and my organs go to precious babies and kids :)
    same thing would go for my babies.
    JamieShay

Answer by JamieShay at 4:21 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• i am, so is my husband, and if something were to happen to one of my kids, and i had the option to save another child's life by donating their organs i would.
    and to the OP as for the eyes thing, it kinda has always creeped me out, the thought of someone walking around w/my eyes. don't know why. same w/hubby's eyes or my kids eyes, i mean if i met the person who had my husband's eyes, it might freak me out a bit. ya know? so i get what you mean about your eyes
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 4:22 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• I am, but I don't think my dh is. My kids are not listed as donors, but I would give permission in a heartbeat if it would help save another child's life. I worked in a children's hospital for a few years and I would do anything to help some of those kids.

anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 4:44 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• We all are
    Alanaplus3

Answer by Alanaplus3 at 5:11 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• I'm like you, I let my family know, and my trusted family doctor - but it's not on my drivers license.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:25 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• I am, hubby is, I would consent for my kids to be. I'm also a regular blood donor and I'm on the marrow registry. My blood could very easily save someone's life and it takes less than an hour. The marrow procedure is more involved of course but I would do it in a heartbeat. When I die I'm going to heaven and I'm gonna have a new body anyway, so use what you can of this old one.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 5:45 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• I am and it's on my DL. If, God's forbid, I were ever in the situation that I would have to decide to donate from my kids, I would. I would love knowing that my lose helped to save someone else. As for me, I'm gonna be done with it anyway, why not let somebody else use it.
    I would go and donate blood, but they won't take mine, which is kinda sad. I have a semi rare blood type (O+) but they won't take my blood (health issues).
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 6:20 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• I wish that I still could be.
    I contacted HepC in 1982 when I had to have blood due to an operation. The surgeon accidently cut an artery. up until 2004 I had it on my license. I had it removed when I was diagnosed with HepC 2nd level while blood work was done while I was in the hospital. (2004).
    I had always wanted to donate blood and also organs because when I was born I had to have a total blood transfusion and I always wanted to give back.
    It is a good thing that you are all doing.
    bloodbought

Answer by bloodbought at 6:29 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• I do not have it on my license, but my DH knows that I wouldn't mind at all. But, honestly, I think he would have problem with it. Same with our kids. If something happened to them but I could help save another child because of it, I would in a heartbeat, but I think that I would have to convince DH.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:34 PM on Aug. 1, 2009