why do people get so mad

when people who are on FS buy steak? what we can't eat steaks we have to be vegetarians or buy nasty cheap meat. i dont care about bein anon. bash me all you want i don't care lol just makes you look ridiculous

ilovenoah26

Asked by ilovenoah26 at 4:18 PM on Aug. 1, 2009 in Food & Drink

• um....im on fs right now due to being disabled....most likely the person bashing you doesnt understand the program...now my father used to buy lobsters for his mother so she'd buy him ciggies...now THATS when someone should get mad....nothing wrong with eating what you want...
    blueeyedgrl2377

Answer by blueeyedgrl2377 at 4:21 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• I agree. Food stamps are meant to help out anyways. People I think, are under the impression that if you get Food Stamps, WIC, etc, that you're flat broke or poor. It does not. It just means you need a little help since everything's so damn expensive nowadays. What are you supposed to do? Eat Grade C meat and rotten eggs?
    jmpeskie

Answer by jmpeskie at 4:22 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• I think it's a little unfair just bc my DH and me work our asses off and have to buy cheap food bc we make to much.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:22 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• I don't know. I've bought steak with food stamps before... If I was you I'd try to just ignore the rude comments.
    momma_marian

Answer by momma_marian at 4:23 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• i understand what your saying anon....but its the system thats broke...they need a higher income bracket than they do now...we make less than 10k a year and almost didnt qualify...dont get mad at the people getting the help...theyd be in a WORSE situation than you are now without it!
    blueeyedgrl2377

Answer by blueeyedgrl2377 at 4:25 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• Just wanted to add, I get dirty looks everytime I handed over my WIC checks even when I had formula. Either from people in line or from the cashier.
    jmpeskie

Answer by jmpeskie at 4:25 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• Probably anyone who gets angry with you is going without such niceties so as to remain self sufficient. It is widely believed that if people shopped frugally they wouldn't have to go on FS and taxes would be lower.
    callmeann

Answer by callmeann at 6:05 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• Because they're assholes and they don't just mind their own business. I never pay attention to how the person in front of me at the grocery store pays. Unless it's some little old lady that is taking FOREVER to write a check because she waits to fill out the entire thing until the very end. And then I'm just annoyed that I got in line behind her. Just ignore people and think to yourself, I'll never see them again.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 6:17 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• I'll be honest, I'm jealous. We make $39 too much each month to qualify for any help. I see the food stamp money buying things that we can't afford to buy. I could take what you pay for a steak and buy groceries to last us several days. I get a bit resentful when I have to work my tail off to grow and preserve a garden, raise chickens for the freezer and cook almost everything from scratch while a former friend of mine gets more $$ in food stamps for her and her son than I have in my budget for a family of 7.
    However, if that's what you choose to buy with your FS, that's your business. No one has the right to bash you or me for our choices in shopping.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 6:22 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• I'm on fs right now, too. I don't eat steak, because I don't eat red meat, but I do buy organic & locally grown as much as possible. I hate the stereotype that just because we need fs, we have to eat crap!
    DrJChappell

Answer by DrJChappell at 6:46 PM on Aug. 1, 2009