Will it be impossible to get a job when I'm obviously expecting?

I just need an p/t min wage job to get me through the rest of the year, and in Feb. DH job will pay really well. Baby is due in Dec and we have other children that would be cared for while I work, but I"m thinking they'll take one look at my belly and say we'll call you if we need someone and never hear from them again.
Just wondering if it's even worth my time and gas to go job hunting.

kristinas8

Asked by kristinas8 at 4:27 PM on Aug. 1, 2009 in Money & Work

• it wasn't for me. i got hired one day and fired on the second day when they took one look at my stomach. try a fast food restaraunt with a high turnover.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 4:29 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• I was five months pregnant when I got a job at walmart. They can't legally turn you down because of a pregnancy.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 4:36 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• i was 5 weeks pregnant when i got my cashier job. i ended up being put on bedrest at 20 weeks so i had to quit. you cant be denied a job because you are pregnant unless its a labor job or factory work which requires you to lift and be around fumes.
    ilovenoah26

Answer by ilovenoah26 at 4:46 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• its true that it is illegal to hold your pregnancy against you, it's also true that with the economy in the shitter if there are 40 applicants for a job they're not going to pick the pregnant lady.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 4:51 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• It was not hard for me, I work from home. I recently left my job they only found out that I was pregnant last month.

IraqiVetWife

Answer by IraqiVetWife at 6:12 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• I worked temp jobs and Burger King when I was 6 months pregnant with my daughter. I didn't volunteer that I was pregnant.
    DrJChappell

Answer by DrJChappell at 6:30 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• I am in the same boat but I am expecting in November. I don't go job hunting because they will not hire someone that they need for part-time but permanently who can stay only for 3-4 months and then not be able to work for at least 6 weeks. Their business has to keep running...sorry for this news. I know many companies want to hire me for I am multi-lingual, but since I am pregnant and expecting so soon, they tell me to come back after I have my baby. My husband and I are going to switch parenting roles after I graduate college in December and I will go to work in January, since I will have a BA and I speak Spanish, Portuguese (Portugal), German (Dutsch), and can read and write Italian. It will be hard, but I am sure it will be the best for our family. Wait it out...that is my best suggestion, for there are hundreds who are also looking for work and are not prego.
    pruden5956

Answer by pruden5956 at 7:25 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• WORK AT HOME!!!! You do not have a boss, only a mentor to help you reach your financial goals! I love what I do and the company that I work with is very reputable, we just won the blue torch award from the BBB and have been listed in Inc. 500 magazine! This is not a scam, been there done that. Everything with this company just made sense to me! If you want a REAL job without selling, stocking, or delivering anything go to my website (that the company pays for!) www.workathomeunited.com/heathers and just fill out the form available (takes the place of an application) and it also tells about our company a little more. You are guaranteed a job with this company! Check it out!
    nakoal87

Answer by nakoal87 at 7:54 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• Since we are going into the holiday season it might be easier then you think. alot of retail business hire temporary for the holidays.
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 8:38 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• I also think you should try working from home. I recently started working from home. I have an awesome team to help me. I have a 5 month old daughter and 2 year old son. I wouldn't have it any other way. I am also just working to make some extra cash. Hope this helps. Congrats on your pregnancy!
    www.internetceomoms.com/ecarrillo
    mommy2joeynabby

Answer by mommy2joeynabby at 9:23 PM on Aug. 1, 2009