Would you put your DS in ballet?

He is 16 months. I want to but DH doesn't.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:59 PM on Aug. 1, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Why would you worry about it at 16 months. Wait until he's older and let him make that choice.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 5:01 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• My dh said sometimes football players use ballet to help with balance and agility........but he still wouldn't be thrilled if I did that. What about gymnastics. That's what I put my girls in because I didn't want to pay for costumes! Why do you want to? Is there are specific reason or just because?

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 5:01 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• I want to do it bc my play group is starting a private class. And bc I can afford it unlike most classes.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:03 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• My son is now 4 and loves his dance class - it started as "creative movement" when he was 2.5 and now it's "Ballet and Tumbling" - so yes. It helps them learn gross motor coordination and how their body works; balance and discipline; plus it's just fun!
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 5:04 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• Yes and when my son gets to be a little older I will put him in ballet. This boy is as clumsy as me he needs all the help he can get.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:25 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• Sure. Movement is important!
    DrJChappell

Answer by DrJChappell at 6:14 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• My son began ballet at 2 yrs 9 mos. He is now 4 1/2 and in tap & ballet with 6&7 yr olds. It's VERY manly not only because of sports (it makes them crazy coordinated!!! soccer is amazing... his balance is very obviously superior of the other players) BUT since boys in ballet are slightly scarce they are the "studs" and important to the girls in class. they (at least at our dance school!) do NOT wear tights. it's manly, terrific exercise, and a stellar prereq. to sports of all kinds. PS my husband is a mechanic and a lover the road trucker. he wasn't thrilled about ballet either but he's learned to love it.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 6:43 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• PS buy this book.
    http://www.theonlyboyinballetclass.com/
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 6:44 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• AT 16 months? Sorry, but that's nuts.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:28 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• Why is it nuts?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:30 PM on Aug. 1, 2009