Midwife....Home Birth or Hospital

I have a two your old little girl named Allyson. But my birth with her is not what I wanted. They didnt put her up on my stomach after she was born,my husband didnt get to cut the cord. Then we only saw her for about 30 seconds, before they took her to the nursery. then we didnt get her back for like 5 hours. So now that we are concidering having a second child. I was thinking about using a midwife in hopes of a less invasive delivery. And possibly even doing a home birth. What are you opinioins on this, experinces and advice. Thanks in advance.

AllysMama1523

Asked by AllysMama1523 at 5:30 PM on Aug. 1, 2009 in Trying to Conceive

• I would never do a home birth. I have had two wonderful experiences with my midwife. But if something happened, you might not have time to get to the hospital, before the worst happened. KWIM?
    My sister in law had a midwife at her birth and then the baby was in distress. The c-section was preformed within 10 minutes and he was saved. The babies umbilical cord was only a foot long so if she had succeeded in pushing him out they both could have died from the placental abruption.
    That is not a common problem, but with so many things that could go wrong, I want to be in a hospital where they can do an emergency c-section if needed and not waste time getting me to the hospital.
    I was able to move around and change positions, i could do whatever i wanted during my births, but I was in a place that could help me if I or the baby needed it.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 5:39 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• I had a doctor at first and I did NOT like him one bit. He always got my name wrong even though it's written on my chart and the first time we got to hear the heartbeat, he only let us listen until he got what he needed. I didn't even have a chance to get emotional over it!

Then we moved and I opted for a midwife. Best decision I ever made. I told them about the doc I had and at my first appointment they let me listen to the heartbeat for as long as I wanted.

It's more relaxed, it's more natural and I felt like they actually cared as opposed to a doctor's office where they have so many patients that they can't remember anything about you without reading your chart.

As far as a home birth goes, I personally wouldn't but that's because I had to have a c-section with my first born so the risk of complications and not being in the hospital scares me a little.

I'm not sure what it's like where you live but ...con't
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 5:39 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• con't...my midwife was going to deliver the baby at the hospital even before we found out I needed a c-section.

If I could have had a midwife this time around then I sure as heck would have.
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 5:40 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• Out of my three kids, the best birth experience I've had was with my daughter and my midwife! I was allowed to walk the halls, labor in the shower, use different positions, all the things I wasn't allowed to do with the ob/gyns that delivered my sons. She was so great! I would never go back to an ob/gyn now.
    DrJChappell

Answer by DrJChappell at 5:44 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• I should say that I had a not so nice birth experience the first time when I had a dr. That is why I chose a midwife the second time.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 5:48 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• I am all for mid-wife deliveries. If a mid-wife is unavailable to you then look for a Family Practice doctor that is a Doctor of Osteopathy (DO) versus a MD. Both are more likely to listen to your birthing plans and to let you experience a more natural birth. I worked on a Maternal-Infant Unit and we actually promoted mommy and baby together as soon as possible. Also, check with local hospitals and find out who has Labor-Delivery-Recovery-Postpartum (LDRP) rooms, that way unless your baby needs NICU care they will never leave your sight.
    lori232

Answer by lori232 at 5:56 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• Join Birth is Normal on here :)

I had my first at a hospital- terrible experience. 2nd was at a birth center. You can go here to read my birth story www.naturalmoms.weebly.com. It was much better, but I wish I had chosen a more natural minded midwife, and not a CNM (AKA MED-wife. Next time I would go with a home birth and backwoods type of midwife.
    Chick

Answer by Chick at 6:17 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• I had three birhs, my last one I had a midwife, it was my worst experiece. I told her right from the beginning that I wanted an epidural. When my contractions were getting more painful I kept begging to get me the epidural, she kept using excuses that I had to have blood work done first. I don't understand why she wouldn't have the blood work done when I first told her I wanted an epidural. Well anyways when I finally got the epidural I delivered my son less than 10 minutes after I had gotten the epidural. I later heard that midwives will try to get you to have the baby naturally. I had to go through hours of pain because she was trying to put off the epidural. I also almost passed out after I delivered the baby because my blood pressure was very low.
    staceynoel

Answer by staceynoel at 6:20 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• Homebirth with a midwife is a safe option for a normal pregnancy. Birth Centers are great if there is one near you.

Warning, CNMs that practice with doctors may be very much like doctors. They may only show up for the last half hour of labor, do whatever they feel like, and take off as soon as possible after. If you choose a CNM make sure she is the kind that stays with you in labor and wants to give you the birth you want.
    GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 7:20 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• Was there a medical reason why the dr didn't let the baby rest on you or that they took the baby away right away? I ask only because that is what happened with my son. He was born with a collapsed lung and they had to go take care of it asap...that is also the reason that I wouldn't ever have a home birth. Mid-wife, yes, home birth, no. I wouldn't have ever thought that his mucosy cough was a collapsed lung. When my daughter was born 17 months later, same dr, same hospital, it was completely different. My husband got to cut the cord, do the ink prints on her certificate and I got to hold and nurse her right away....hospitals all the way.
    clhadley

Answer by clhadley at 8:14 PM on Aug. 1, 2009