i'm trying to get my 4 year old to stop wetting the bed but everything that i try dosent seem to work.. please help me what can i do?

Lindabella84

Asked by Lindabella84 at 9:46 PM on Jun. 22, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• You can use overnight diapers until his body has developed enough to control the bladder at night. Also, don't let him have water right before, or in, bed.
    halfpint_ny

Answer by halfpint_ny at 9:48 PM on Jun. 22, 2008

• Sometimes it takes boys longer to outgrow the wetting the bed thing. I have been lucky that my older two are not bed wetters but I have some friends that nine years olds still wet the bed. The docs are not concerned.
    Mimomof3boys

Answer by Mimomof3boys at 9:59 PM on Jun. 22, 2008

• What is his bedtime? If it is pass 7 make him potty before he goes to bed.Then When you go to bed wake him and help him get on the potty. He may whine but make him go it will help if he sits til he gets use to going at night. it worked 4 my boy
    TDMumof3

Answer by TDMumof3 at 10:10 PM on Jun. 22, 2008

• This happened with my son and i found out that he had a hernia which was causing him to not be aware that he had to use the bathroom at night. If you don't think it's anything that serious i would make a cut off time for drinks and food then set a alarm in their room and in your so your child can become aware and get up to use the bathroom. Eventually their bodies will be adjusted to get up and go. I did that with my son. He had surgery when he was 4 and he's now 9 and like clockwork he gets up and uses the bathroom. It takes time but it will pay off. "Goodnights" are a great trainer too.
    Mommy2life

Answer by Mommy2life at 10:39 PM on Jun. 22, 2008

• my oldest wets the bed if he eats dairy
    Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 10:52 PM on Jun. 22, 2008

• I wet the bed non-stop and periodically until I was 13 or 14. I found that I did it more, the more my parents brought it up or were upset about changing my sheets. But I am 30 now, so I don't really have any good advice how to stop it. I got lucky both of my 2 girls didn't wet the bed. Which was suprising because my 2 brothers did too. And both of my nephews do...Guess I got lucky
    koodie78

Answer by koodie78 at 11:00 PM on Jun. 22, 2008

• wake him up for a potty run before you go to bed.

If he wakes up and wants his sheets changed, his bladder is probably not big enough to make it through the night and his body may not be making enough of the chemical that slows down urine production during sleep. For now, keep him in pull-ups until he is dry at least 7 days in a row

If he keeps sleeping even with wet sheets, he is sleeping too deeply and doesn't realize he has to go. Get an alarm system that detects pee and wakes him up.

Make certain he knows this is VERY common. If it wasn't, no one would sell Good Night pants. Instead, you can find them in every store. I wet my bed until I was 6 and know how hard it can be on a kid when you think you are the only one with the problem. He needs your love and support. It's not considered a potential medical problem until age 6.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 2:08 PM on Jun. 23, 2008

• Limit his drinks at least an hour, if not more, before bedtime. Make sure he goes to the bathroom every night before bed. If this does not work, set an alarm for say 2 am, wake him up, see if he needs to use the bathroom. I hope this helps!
    6IrishKiddos

Answer by 6IrishKiddos at 2:32 PM on Jun. 23, 2008

• i was like that when i was younger i went to the docter and i had a bladder problem but it is fixed now i hope nothing is wrong
    natbug6697

Answer by natbug6697 at 2:18 PM on Jun. 24, 2008