• In the Spotlight:

Does anyone know what foods I should stay away from while breastfeeding my newborn? She is having Acid Reflux issues, and I don't want to aggrivate them.

christychadd

Asked by christychadd at 6:05 PM on Aug. 1, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Mmm... I would bring this up with your doctor as well. Our son had it terribly and she prescribed a medication for him that worked VERY well. And we got him a crib wedge.
    As for foods... probably stuff that's very acidic. Oranges, garlic, tomatoes, extremely spicy stuff, but I don't think that it would affect your doctor an extreme amount. :]
    Good luck to your little girl.
    K_Sawyer

Answer by K_Sawyer at 6:10 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• You can probably eat anything. Reflux is usually a physical problem for the baby.
    GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 6:13 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• Yes, there are definitely foods you shouldn't eat. Like spicy foods and a lot of chocolate. A little chocolate is okay, but not tons. I am not saying those will cause the reflux in your baby, but they will make your baby fussier over all.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:17 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• Emi had reflux. Like crazy vomit spewing exorcist style spit up. It turned out she was allergic to a lot and once i eliminated that she was fine. Cut out dairy and acidic foods(tomatoes and citrus). Try that for 4 weeks and see if it helps. Chocolate can also aggravate it. But babies DO spit up. It's just a fact of life. Some more then others.
    Arisce

Answer by Arisce at 7:28 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• garlic,..when i drank milk it hurt my baby,also when she sleeps,try proping her up so she doesnt lay flat.but i never gave up caffine(pop) and my baby seemed fine
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 8:40 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• Arisce is right--dairy can be a big culprit for upset stomaches in babies. You need to eliminate all dairy for an entire two weeks to notice a difference. Another not so common but very big culprit for those issues is gluten, found in breads, cookies, pastas, etc. These things can be bought gluten free.

Start keeping a diary of everything you eat. You may notice a pattern for when baby spits up after you eat something. Eliminate one food every week or two until you find the culprit, and speak with a lactation consultant as well as your Dr. The LC will help with known foods passed through milk that upset tummy's and your pedi can help treat the LO. Good luck mama . . .
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 8:46 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• ALSO look into it being overactive letdown..lots of moms think babies have acide reflux(its seems the same symptoms wise) or colic or whatever else and its because of overactive/forceful letdown.

WHen you letdown does you milk spray, does baby seem to choke or gag? Does baby pull off the breast often?

read this
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/fast-letdown.html
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 9:22 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• garlic and salad were my nemises.
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 9:42 PM on Aug. 1, 2009