How do I potty train my daughter in one day or if not one day then at all?

I'm trying to potty train my 2 year old daughter and it's not going very well. I put her on the potty and she normally goes if she has too, but the thing is that I don't give her liquids before bed time (because she pees the bed then) and recently in the morning time when she wakes up she is soaked to the bone in her clothes and such. It's been going on for about a week to a week in a half. I dont understand it, and it makes me kind of worried because I'm a diabetic and diabetes runs in my family so I dont know if it's that or if it's just the potty training. What do I do???

butterfly19867

Asked by butterfly19867 at 6:27 PM on Aug. 1, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It is hard for a two year old to stay dry at night, if things are going good during the day, you can put her in pullup or a diaper at night until she wakes more often dry then not. Most kids older than her have a hard time at night, there bodies haven't learned to wake up yet to pee.
    If she is not going all the time during the day, she may not be ready yet, but at her age it shouldnt be too long.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 6:33 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• Pick a day or a weekend (or long weekend!) with decent weather and NO ERRANDS or shopping or visitors.

Strip her naked.

Give her the liquid of her choice even if it's sugary or a treat (choco milk, sprite, whatever) and keep it coming. U want a bowl of salty snacks out too. Popcorn, pretzels, whatever,

Let her run naked. Put a towel on the couch and have supplies ready for an (unlikely) floor accident.

Have movies rented. A few new ones, a few favorites.
    Put her potty in front of TV with salty snacks and drinks and she'll go... eventually.

Get an alarm clock/egg timer/kitchen timer.

If she pee's set it for 45 minutes.... during that time she can play, dance, computer game, read, color, play doh (NAKED) or whatever is fun to her.

If she does NOT pee, set it for 15 minutes and try again.

hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 6:37 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• change her dinner time by at least an hour (earlier) and noooo snacks/drinks after that. Careful of teeth brushing liquid.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 6:39 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• I trained both sons at age 3. I waited until they were dry at night, this showed me they were able to have the capacity and control that was needed. Then I spent a day taking them to the potty every half hour. The first day we went through 5 pairs of training pants, the next day it was just reminders every few hours and just 2 pairs, and after that the rare accident.

Answer by Bmat at 6:50 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• waiting till they wake in the mornign dry is a good start..let them wear underwear during the day and take to the potty every hour, expects a few accidents. Put them to bed with a pullup and the day they wake dry u can start putting to bed in undies.
    Jenof3

Answer by Jenof3 at 7:12 PM on Aug. 1, 2009