Would you stick up for your kid, even if he was wrong?

My son was over a neighbor's house today, and my son is 8 and the other boy is 10. They had a little dispute over whether grass was a plant or not. My son of course said that grass WAS a plant (we googled it later, and it is, in case anyone has doubts), the other boy said it wasn't. They were in front of the boy's house during this argument, so the boy went and asked his mom and his mom said that grass was NOT a plant. Well it ended where the other boy slammed the front door in my son's face. Now these are normal childhood issues and I'm only asking this question as a metaphor for something else. I, personally think it's wrong to misinform your child, and if you really don't know, you shouldn't assume. I just told my son that he should've just picked his battles, and let his friend have that one, rather than look like "mr. smarty pants". At least my son knows the facts. Again, I am using this answer as a metaphor for another ?

mumma28

Asked by mumma28 at 6:46 PM on Aug. 1, 2009 in General Parenting

• I agree you did the right thing. Pick your battles wisely. My mom was interning the parents of her class (kindergarten) and was telling them one of the activities they do and it was going outside to collect caterpillars and watch them turn into butterflies and the parent told my mother that she was crazy that was not where butterflies come from that she needs to go back to school. lol
    Dianneakamommy

Answer by Dianneakamommy at 8:12 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• I agree.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 6:47 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• I don't get it. How did you stick up for him?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:50 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• No the OTHER mother stuck up for her kid, to my kid. She said that her kid was right, grass ISNT a plant, and that is a WRONG answer.
    mumma28

Answer by mumma28 at 7:22 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• She didn't, the other mother stuck up for her son when her son was wrong. That is the whole question. If my child was wrong or if I didn't know the answer, I wouldn't stick up for them. They need to learn that they aren't always right and we can always, like you did, look it up to find the right answer.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:22 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• No I would not tell my son he is right when I know he is wrong or if I'm not sure. What would that teach him? If you have a disagreement with someone all that matters is that you win? That kid will be in for a world of hurt if he goes into adulthood with that attitude. If I had been in that situation I would have suggested we look it up together, and if his friend ended up being right then that would be the end of it.
    Mama2JoshKatie

Answer by Mama2JoshKatie at 7:50 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• well, my son didnt get the chance to come and ask me before they slammed the door in his face, which was very immature coming from that mother also.
    mumma28

Answer by mumma28 at 8:20 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• Its not necessarily that she stuck up for her child, she was just as misinformed as him. This is a not a black or white question. I am ALWAYS on my childs side. I will defend them, stick up for them and be their best ally and supporter, but that doesnt mean I will not tell them they are wrong. When we are dealing with a dispute with others involved, I put on a united front with my child. Meaning I stay on their side and fight for them. I apologize for any wrong behavior and I make them apologize for any wrong behavior, but I NEVER take another persons side against my child. My children need to know that they can always trust me to be on their side and defend them. We admit fault when we are wrong though. Theres a difference.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 8:48 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• There's a difference from supporting/being there for my child and letting them think they're right when they're not. I know you're making a larger point, but in this specific issue, I bet that lady just didn't think it was a plant and didn't even know she was wrong. I had kids telling me gum was made from horse hooves or something asinine like that and it was because their parents thought that. But in general, I can let my child know she is wrong and still let her know she has a mother who supports her.
    mrs_pulley

Answer by mrs_pulley at 8:54 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• I'm guessing she was ill informed too, but it was a childs argument, and she acted like a child by allowing her son to slam the door in my kids face.
    mumma28

Answer by mumma28 at 12:21 AM on Aug. 2, 2009