• In the Spotlight:

Do I have anything to worry about?

my DD is 2, I am currently 18 weeks pregnant with #2. We have been keeping our DD as involved as possible. We read to her about the baby (her big sister book which is now her favorite book lol, and our of the what to expect book) She loves to put the babies clothes away, folding onsies and hanging outfits ect, and organizing the babies toys and crib. Well today I was reading her the what to expect book and she loves to see the pictures of the babies development each week. Well today she saw the picture and said "thats my baby boy in your tummy, mommy" I asked her if she would share him with me and her daddy and she said "no he's my brother mommy". Well I am wondering if this means she wont be jealous when he (or she, my DD swears its a boy) gets here if we keep her involved. When other babies come over she wont play with toys she just holds them and says they are hers...what do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:22 PM on Aug. 1, 2009 in General Parenting

• My boys are 13 months apart. They aren't as jealous of each other as they are of other children that come over and play with their toys. I am pregnant with #3 and we have been doing the same as you with involving them (they are now 1 1/2 and 2 1/2). We even took them shopping to buy a doll for their baby sister to give her at the hospital. I do think that they are more apt to sharing with their siblings (when they are younger), I think it will change as they get older though.
    Oh, and just to add, my 2 yr. old was totally convinced that I was having a girl this time. If we even tried to say it might be another brother he would get really upset and say no, it is a sister. Well, he as right.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:28 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• try carrying a doll around and do things with it like u would have to do with the baby. LIke if ur daughter wants u to read her a story, tell her, first I have to feed the "baby" wanna help? Thats the real test...dont neglect her, read to her after the BAby is fed
    mumma28

Answer by mumma28 at 7:28 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• She's 2. She doesn't have a clue. It's all going to change when the baby actually gets here and she gets a dose of how much attention the baby needs. Not that you're going to neglect her or anything! But she really doesn't realize what that baby coming home is going to mean!

Or....she'll stay as excited and all will go smoothly.

I had one each way. Don't count on anything.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:30 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• I have tried the doll thing and she wants to do everything for it..the feedings, diaper changes, putting it to sleep (if we make noise or talk while she is doing this she goes "shhh baby is sleeping" lol. I think she is meant to be a mother lol, Im just not sure if it will be different when the baby actually gets here..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:31 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• she's too young to really understand what she's saying or exactly what's even going on. She's probably going to go through some degree of jealousy/insecurity, but it sounds like you'll be the kind of mom that will be attentive to that and give her comfort. In the meantime, I wouldn't read anything into what she says. The personality she has would be a better indicator or jealousy issues IMO
    mrs_pulley

Answer by mrs_pulley at 8:51 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• WOW at 2 she is saying a lot more than my 2 year old is??? she has no clue..I wouldn't worry about it
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:01 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• I would say that maybe your trying too hard to involve her. Like, to the point that she thinks the baby is supposed to be hers! Trying backing off and letting things just play out naturally.
    Gandeluv

Answer by Gandeluv at 1:26 AM on Aug. 2, 2009