Colic, or Milk Protein Allergy, now trying alimentum

Hey guys well I need help, my son is only a month old and at 2 weeks I had to stop BFing due to severe gas and signs of colic, we went to a regular formula FAIL, went to the Dr went to Soy, FAIL got gripe water FAIL, got Milicon FAIL went to the Dr again tried prevacid for acid reflux, seems to help a little but so much spit up now, well his signs are constant crying, such severe gas you can actually hear it and feel it, his gas gets so bad he can't eat because he's so upset, can't put him down because he just needs to be soothed, I did notice mucous in the poop which was told is a sign of milk protien allergy he wanted me to wait till Monday but he's miserable, anyone else have this issue and how long did it take for Alimentum to start helping?

momof4520

Asked by momof4520 at 7:35 PM on Aug. 1, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• When we put my daughter on the Alimentum we also started giving her gas drops every time before she ate. That was 5 years ago but from what I remember it helped after about 2 days. The gas didn't go away completely for a bit but it got much better. When he is having the gas pains put him in your lap face down with his head off of your knees and bounce him. That helped my daughter. Also stop and burp him every 2 ounces or so. I hope it helps soon. I can remember my daughter crying from the gas pains, and I felt so helpless.
    TeriMelisa

Answer by TeriMelisa at 7:46 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• Human milk is the best thing for your baby. As you have found out substitutes haven't worked. I'm sorry you have been misinformed and you and your baby have had to go through all this. It's not too late, you can start breastfeeding again. Contact a lactation consultant or La Leche League Leader as soon as possible.

For information on relactation go to www.kellymom.com

GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 7:48 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• WIsh doctor had told you to just cut dairy from your diet...it would've been the one step solution...seriously no formula round robin. Like PP said you can go back to BFing if you want and cut out diary you should see a change in 3-4 days and 100% by 3-4 weeks.

Neocate is the formula to go to for milk protein allergies...

tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 9:20 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• stick with the BFing... my daughter had really bad colic and i still BFed her... the vaccumm cleaner will be your best friend.. turn it on and they pass right out... i had the vaccumm on every night for 3 months.... it will get better but hang in there!
    tonibologna

Answer by tonibologna at 3:33 AM on Aug. 2, 2009

• It's a milk protein allergy for sure!!!!! I gace it to him and I finally have a happy baby, it wasn't colic, as much as I wish I could have breastfed I'm all dried up I have tried to BF again the good thing is my baby is happy thanks!
    momof4520

Answer by momof4520 at 7:02 PM on Aug. 2, 2009