how many paychecks could u miss before you would be totally destroyed?

my family always worries my husband will get sick... or one of the kids (or I) will and DH will refuse to goto work because he'd want to be involved in the medical care, etc. However a local family friend who is also single income family (they have 5 yr old twins, a son who is either 12 or 13 and she is in 2nd trimester with #4) their credit union called them last night that his direct deposit was seized... his employer didn't have the funds to cover it and/or is bankrupted, they believe. he wont know more til monday but they do not HAVE til monday. I think I'd be the same, sadly.... you?

hibbingmom

Asked by hibbingmom at 7:37 PM on Aug. 1, 2009 in Money & Work

• We would be homless by the end of the month
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:43 AM on Aug. 2, 2009

• We would be good for 6 mos to a year I'd say of no paychecks.
    Habibti812

Answer by Habibti812 at 7:39 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• we'd be the same. every time we start being able to save money up, something comes up with one of the cars, or something like that, so whatever we had saved up is then gone. hopefully next year around tax time, we will have nothing, and will be able to save all of next years return...thats the goal at least..
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 7:40 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• We have enough saved where we would be fine for at least 3 years.

We have been saving for a long time and don't buy a lot of extras. Since our son was born last September it's been a little more difficult saving, but we're managing.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:41 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• Most people would be OK for less than a month.
    GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 7:41 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• 1
    Anonymous

• We would be good for maybe close to two years if we only got what was needed, a year if we bought extra stuff.
    Anonymous

• We thought we'd be fine. And we were for about 6 weeks. I'm going to post for a pity party about our experience... ugh. Ladies, I feel sick!
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 7:49 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• I'd be immediately screwed.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:38 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• I would be screwed THAT day!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:41 PM on Aug. 1, 2009