Looking for more Advice

My 19 month old son throws really bad tantrems in public. Like he kicks me and head buts me. It's just hard to control him when he's mad and upset. Any Advice on how to handle that?

tonia_h

Asked by tonia_h at 7:45 PM on Aug. 1, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• ask a cashier if you can leave your cart by the door go outside and let him sit in the car til he's done. don't be afraid to punish him in public, he's expecting that since you are around others you'll let him get his way. but at that age whatever you do has to be right then, not in the car on the way home or at home b/c they need instant consequences for their actions until they are a little older.
    i still have to walk out of stores sometimes w/my 3 1/2 yr old if shes throwing a tantrum. she actually laid down in the store the other day screaming bloody murder b/c she didn't want to put her shoes back on she wanted to get in the cart but there wasn't room. i told her to put em on or walk outside, she chose to walk outside, so the second we got to that parking lot (it was about 98 that day) you bet your butt she wanted her shoes back on, after 3 steps i carried her, and no more tantrums about shoes that day
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 7:59 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• At that age it is best to remove them from the situation to calm down out of the eye of the public- go to the car- etc. I still have to take my three and a half year old out of restaurants at times to have a talk with her about proper behavior. removing them from the situation is best- I know that's hard sometimes if you have to leave a cart full of groceries to do so- but do it. They know they can get thier way because it's likely your so embarassed you want to just give them whatever they want to be quiet!
    Habibti812

Answer by Habibti812 at 7:48 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• tie him down in the stroller. restrain him till he stops squirming and tell him sternly NO you do not behave like that... keep moving, gets really bad then leave i always carry suckers in my purse it'll keep em busy and queit for 20 minutes.. ood luck
    mirit.rose

Answer by mirit.rose at 7:52 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• my mom always had us kids go out to the car if we acted up and didnt take us next time.but my 1yr old has been acting up sometimes and i just strap her in a cart and when she calms down i let her out to walk
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 8:30 PM on Aug. 1, 2009