My experience! I'm broke! Anyone else been in this boat?

We live in SE Kansas. My DH took a job in North-Central WA state, so we drove the 28 hrs up there, only to find that the employer didn't tell the truth about the job, about the pay, about the benefits, the provided housing. We would have taken the job if we could have actually lived in the house. Aside from the chip-board floors and the lack of insulation in the walls and the pieces of insulation hanging from the ceiling, it wasn't livable. So we came home, and on went the job search. For 3 days hard manual work sun up to sun down on the ranch, she gave us $100. After the $600 we spent on fuel there and back.

We found another job in central WY, and drove 18 hrs there. DH LOVED the place, we said yes, we left to come home and pack our things. We even visited family and told them we were moving. The next night, DH called to tell the guy that we were moving there in 2 wks, and he says, "Well, I hired someone else. Sorry."

matobe

Asked by matobe at 7:51 PM on Aug. 1, 2009 in Money & Work

• Oh, and DH was on horseback working cows and doctoring for 2 days from 5am to 11pm each day, and 18 hrs there and the guy didn't even bother to pay him for those 2 days!

We're at a loss. With spending our last $2k in savings, I don't know what else to do. I'm heartbroken, DH found something he loves and has worked for all his life, only to have it yanked from under us.

Have you been through anything like this? What's your story? How did you overcome?
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 7:54 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• Two years ago my son and I were homeless and living in a tent in Indiana. We now live in Arizona and my son has a good job and is only 21 and has just bought his first house. Closing is Friday. I'm disabled and I am living with him. The house has a pool, new kitchen, new floors, new paint, it's great. He will get the $8000 tax credit and will be able to pay off all his debts and buy a good used car and furniture for the house. We never thought 2 years ago we would have a house with a pool in Tucson. I hope things turn around for you.

The upscale healthy grocery store Sunflower Market where my son works is going to be hiring in about 2 weeks. They are opening a new store in town. There is a nice mobile home park next to it and an RV park across the street for temp housing. It is beautiful where the store is.
    GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 8:04 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• As much as I hate to admit it, we don't even have the money to get to AZ! Ugh. We went from $750 a week to zippo.
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 9:36 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• my hubby just got a job but its minimum wage, i cant find a job. he can barely find a job even though he has an AA degree. in michigan the unemployment rate here is between 12-22%. its insane. our rent was due today and we cant even pay it until next friday and even then we dont have the whole amount im just glad we have foodstamp money and wic so my son has formula. all our extra cash goes to his diapers. i havent gotten a haircut in 9 months and im still wearing some of my maternity clothes because we have no money to buy new stuff
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:39 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• I'm still in maternity jeans too. Thank God I bought boxes and boxes of diapers with all the coupons I got in the mail while we HAD money.

I started out EBF'ing, but that lasted a whole whopping 6 wks and I quit producing at all! The formula is $25 a can, and will only last 4-5 days, sometimes less. I haven't had my hair done in 9 mos either, I just dyed it last week with the $3 L'Oreal stuff because my sisters brought over head lice. It royally sucks.

Oblahblah better get stuff situated and sorted. I know it won't happen over night, but dang. We're running out of options, time, and money! And I'm SURE there are people out there even less fortunate than I am!
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 12:28 AM on Aug. 2, 2009

• Just TRY to keep this in mind my friend? "When one door closes another one opens". I've been where you are and it sucks when you feel as though finally your getting a break then the rug gets snatched out from under you again! No matter what anyone may say or think the economy still Sucks and it is getting worse instead of better!! 

Susanmomof

Answer by Susanmomof at 5:58 AM on Aug. 2, 2009

• theres a paper mill up in international falls minnesota that is hiring lots of open jobs and good pay, i live here my whole life and rainy lake is beutiful and rent is cheap and the county will help you get what you need to live and food if you need it, rent is arount 300 to 500 a month at the most, its nice and quiet
    momupnorth

Answer by momupnorth at 4:54 PM on Aug. 15, 2009