• In the Spotlight:

whats ur save money idea?

i dont have money now a days i dont even get 300 a month. I spend it on what the kids need and the need to pay bills. so i kinda get by. but its still not enough and i know a lot of you save money and i was wondering what u do to save money.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:02 PM on Aug. 1, 2009 in Money & Work

• Start getting a Sunday paper and clip coupons. It REALLY helps. A lot.
    Also, when you go grocery shopping, compare brands by comparing the unit prices.
    allans_girl

Answer by allans_girl at 8:22 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• Every year when we get a raise we act like we never got it. We put it all in savings. We've been doing that for 5 years now and we have saved so much! Everytime we pay off something, we also put the money that we were spending on that into savings. Like we just got done paying off a vehicle, so now we're putting that $450 into savings every month.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:24 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• I guess I'd just have to tell you what I have told my daughter. Never eat out. Take the kids to places that are free, such as parks, play areas, nature centers, etc. Make sure your gas tank is filled if you work outside the home. Make sure the daycare is paid, kids are clean and you have all the necessities.

My daughter has found resources to help with daycare, electric bills, and even gas for her car. I do her laundry for her.

Make meals, such as spaghetti, that you can save for left overs. Never waste food.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 8:31 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• I buy things at yard sales and sell them on craigslist. Today I got a big pet carrier in great condition for $2 and I will be able to sell it for $30. I get so excited! I only went to 4 or 5 sales today, it's like 105 degrees and I don't go far because of gas.
    GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 8:33 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• Ebay is also a good place to buy kids' clothes - and your own. If you're careful, you can get things in very good condition much cheaper than department stores. Everything I've ever bought has been just like new; many things arrived with tags still attached.
    allans_girl

Answer by allans_girl at 8:40 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• I make my own laundry detergent, it costs less than .70cents to make 2 gallons and it lasts me almost 8 weeks. If you want the recipe go to http://www.ehow.com/how_4724192_making-own-liquid-laundry-detergent.html. I have an article on it.
    jojo13

Answer by jojo13 at 9:30 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• I have started shopping online at a GREAT store that is cheaper than wal-marts stuff!! PLUS they are all-natural so I know I am not hurting my kids as far as their health is concerned. I love their stuff more than I do what I was brand loyal to for years! I also get a small check from them for shopping there. Walmart doesn't pay me squat! E mail me if you are interested at nakoal87@aol.com
    nakoal87

Answer by nakoal87 at 11:24 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

nakoal87

• these are all good ideas. I also cut cable, had dialup, looked at car insurance to make sure it's the best for us (USAA). The idea about the raise is a good one. Stick a tiny bit in a savings account and compound interest takes care of the rest.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 12:36 AM on Aug. 2, 2009

• My tips for saving at the grocery store are here: http://www.ehow.com/how_5223945_save-even-money-grocery-store.html

If you have cable TV, cancel it

Instead of renting or buying DVDs and books, borrow them from the library.

Turn off the A/C; open  the windows and turn on the fans.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:48 AM on Aug. 2, 2009