• In the Spotlight:

Has your husband been out of work on and off for 7 yrs.?

My husband used to work with his brother and his brother would help him on the job.Since 9/11 my husband hasn't been able to find a good job or to stay on the job.For that whole time he's been going to school trying different careers but doesn't follow thru into a internship or actual job.He's tried retail jobs and odd jobs and can't keep them.Would he qualify for some kind of disability?I am hugely disapointed in my husband and very frustrated,help! Kind answers please,I won't divorce him,he's still a good man.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:03 PM on Aug. 1, 2009 in Relationships

• My Dh has ben laid off alot through the years! Many times in our lives living beneath the povert line. Its very tough! To dat my Dh has been out of wrok since January. We're both jobless and times are tough here! We can't afford the Bacis or health care. I don't think I've ever felt this Ill. Spiraling down here. Its hard to live with! You see he's been at this job close to 24 years! Prior to that, he lost his Job since it wnet out of business! Its hard to Start over.. So much is involved! I feel for you! I feel for your DH. Then if you get in A rut. Its hard to get out!! Depression & the like can bring one down to a low point! I get it! I'm Sorry with what you're going through! Know you're not alone! Bad things do happen to Good people! Keep on Trying! Keep helping! I'm wishing you both the Very Best!!
    Angellinda

Answer by Angellinda at 10:05 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• Is it possible that he's depressed?
    LuvBug3

Answer by LuvBug3 at 8:05 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• Yes,he's very depressed,suicidal depressed,he takes anti-depressants.I should say,he always worked with his brother and they owned companies together.His brother is very successful and has offered him jobs,since he's the manager of this company,my husband wasn't able to handle the work,he offered him two different types of jobs and he couldn't do it.My husband says the technology has changed and he has so much to learn and he can't learn it all.I should say to that I'm bitter that his brother has a job,this causes arguments between us.It's hurtful to say things but I'm so frustrated!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:10 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• The problem sounds like he has given up. Also some anti-depressants keep you down, maybe he should see the doctor again and check out other meds. and tell the doctor you don't want downers for him. Also some drugs will make you gain a lot of weight. He needs help, keep looking for the right kind of help. Make sure you get a doctor that listens to you.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 8:20 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• maybe he should apply for disability
    ranedare

Answer by ranedare at 8:24 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• Yes, I've dealt with this. I've put my husband in charge of the kids while I work. It seems to make him realize that he'd rather have a job. LoL
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:01 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• Thanks angellinda! My husband doesn't gain much weight on those anti-depressants,thankgod else we'd be in more trouble.He always stays slim even unemployed for years but he is gaining weight a little in his stomach and neck but that's it.I thas been a joy lately him staying home and babysitting and having his company,for awhile there I went crazy being alone,didn't have money to shop for clothes.We always are able to get food stamps and that helps alot because I have low blood sugar and have to eat alot of meat during the day.I ment to say[ It has been a joy].Sometimes I think about Divorcing him because he doesn't have a lot of will power to get a job he has become lazy.He doesn't seem desperate for a job.My mom has been paying our rent and he thinks that can just continnue forever,I wish my mom would put us on the streets,I know he'd get desperate then.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:31 PM on Aug. 1, 2009