Has anyone had a diagnosis of autism with ADHD?

Hello everyone,
I recently took my son to a neurologist and he said that my son had autism with ADHD. He put him on medicine that made him go nuts. I stopped it after consulting with the pediatrician. Now I went back to the neurologist and he put him on a different medicine. I was wondering if anyone can tell me if they have been through this and what they did. Also is anyone from New York area and do you have a good neurologist? Thanks everyone
Cindy

cindyhernandez

Asked by cindyhernandez at 8:09 PM on Aug. 1, 2009 in Kids' Health

• My son was just diagnosed with ADHD and he might have Asperger's Syndrome as well. We are still in the process of getting him diagnosed with that. My son also just started his medicine and I did not like the side effects at all so we are going back to the doctor on Monday for a different medicine.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 8:15 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• My six year old has autism with ADHD diagnosis. he is on Vyvanse (lowest dose) and Risperdal. Don't know what meds you've tried, but I suggest consulting with a developmental pediatrician.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:32 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• My almost 10yr old son has ADHD and HFA. He is on Vyvanse as well along with Seroquel at bedtime. It took several different meds and several years to find the right combination that works best for him.
    Melindakc

Answer by Melindakc at 11:24 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• We were told that our son was ADHD & possible Aspergers. After the proper allergy testing, we discovered that what he really had was food sensitivities. Dr's are too quick to dx ADHD.

Have your child tested for food sensitivities. FOOD PANEL RAST TEST for IgE & IgG.
    Why dope your kid if all they need is a change in diet?
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 10:54 AM on Aug. 2, 2009

• "Why dope your kid if all they need is a change in diet?"

Most moms have tried everything before putting their child on medicine. I know I sure did. We have done the diet change, and it did not work. Just because your child has a food sensitivity doesn't mean every child who is diagnosed with ADHD was wrongly diagnosed. And BTW, I don't "dope" my son, I give him medicine that can help him to control his impulsive behavior so he will not get hurt again.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 11:56 AM on Aug. 2, 2009

• Both of my children have been diagnosed with Autism. I have tried the glutin-caesin free diet, and we do a number of behavioral, occupational and speech related therapies. They are both high-functioning, and will be entering 2nd grade and Kindergarten in the fall--spending 80% of their day in regular education classrooms!

We have NEVER put them on any medications....I just couldn't see putting a 2,3,or 4 year old on psychotropic drugs. It's hard, but my children have improved greatly--neither one spoke before the age of 4, but were 100% potty trained by age 4, and they participate in a number of social programs and sports. We also never used a TSS.

My children are capable of learning right from wrong, and I simply felt putting them on some medication might calm them, and make it easy for me NOW, but what happens as they grow? Does the dosage increase, do they learn how to self-sooth/calm, and develop coping skills?
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 1:50 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• My 12 year old has autism with ADHD, but we've never had him on medications, with the exception of melatonin for help with sleep when he was younger. I would definitely consult with a developmental specialist - we went for a consult with one and she was a great help. There are side effects to most of the drugs, with some being more severe than others. I know a lot of moms with kids with autism and they've been through a variety of drugs with their kids, having to change drugs or amounts every few months.

Answer by missanc at 2:30 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• Yes, both of my boys have aspergers and adhd. They also have OCD. This is very common. I live in themetropolitan area. In NYC goto Dr. Steven Wolf. He is associated with Beth ISrael. While hespecializes in epilepsy they understand aspergers really well. He also has anoffice in White plains. For aspergers itself, becasue you need to giv ehim therapy as well as meds, go to the aspergers center in nyc. The Dr. is Lynda Geller. She is formerly associated with NYU. They closed her office and she now has started a new practice.

If you live on the island. There are really gogod support groups ahany.org or GRASP.org. They are really good support groups. If you are in NJ go to ASPEN.org. I also write a blog http://asd2mom.spaces.live.com. There is alot of info and helpful websites.listed.
    Also go to http://www.wrightslaw.com. Make yourself really familiar with your son's school rights. This is a terrific website.
    Good luck :)
    aspergers2mom

Answer by aspergers2mom at 6:59 PM on Aug. 2, 2009