Is it a waste of money?

My DH and I have a 2 year old DD and are expecting another on new years eve, we dont know what we are having yet but if we have another girl we are buying her new baby items (we gave our first DD's stuff to my cousin) because we think all babies are different and have differnt personalities, so they should have different baby stuff. Everyone thinks we should just get our old stuff back from my cousin but we honestly dont want to...

We aren't asking family to buy the items, we are going to but they all think they have a say in it. What do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:24 PM on Aug. 1, 2009 in General Parenting

• I say do what you want. If you can afford it, go ahead and have fun =]
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 8:26 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• It's your baby, do what you want. Congrats! :)
    legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 8:26 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• If you can afford to do it, then do it, however, I do think it's a waste. My husband and I could do the same thing, however, I just do see what the point is. I would rather donate the money to charity.
    JMO
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:27 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• Do what you want. If you can afford to buy all new baby stuff and don't think it's a waste of money it's none of their business.
    GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 8:27 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• I don't think it's a waste, if you're talking about room decorations. I mean if you have the money to do so, then go for it. I would probably do it that way too. You've already had to look at the same decorations for a couple of years now, so why not change it up if you have the means to do so??
    HisMommySince07

Answer by HisMommySince07 at 8:27 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• i would reuse some items like clothes bath tub.etc, i grew up with hand me downs and so has everyone else around me.
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 8:27 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• * I just don't see what -- yeah, it's been a long day! Sorry!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:28 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• their stuff should not affect their personality. do what u want to do. is this more about only wanting new stuff for your child? babies especially outgrow things really fast-you'll buy tubs,bouncers.activity mats,jumping toys,swings,etc-that they either use acouple months or never seem to like- it's almost a waste to buy things new when there are so many barely or gently used items(that cost alot new) that other families no longer use. that's just my opinion..
    ranedare

Answer by ranedare at 8:32 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• I think you should do whatever you want to do. I plan on using my DS's crib (he's now in a toddler bed) with the one I'm due with now ( I'm due dec. 21, so you're just slightly farther along)... As many children as I have, I want to use the same bed ( but different mattress and bed set). When I'm old, I'll use the same crib with my grandbabies, I've thought it out... I also gave away all of my son's things ( he is also two). I kept a select few outfits, a recieving blanket, his baby quilt, the things that meant something... If you can afford buying new things then go ahead.
    momma_marian

Answer by momma_marian at 8:33 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• Its never a waste to buy new items for a baby. You gave them away to someone who needed them so you need new stuff. I would totally see that as an opportunity to go shopping! I do feel every child is different and every life should be celebrated and have their own stuff. I truly feel sorry for kids who grow up with ALL hand me downs. They never have anything that is JUST theirs. Nothing wrong with resusing stuff, but a childs wardrobe should never be ONLY hand me downs. How awful. My kids are too far apart to share too many things. We did use the same crib but my kids all had their own bedding set, their own carseats and swings and I only reused a few items of clothing. I didnt have the space to store it all for that long. Its never a waste when youre talking about a child and what they deserve. Sure you can live without having everything new, but there are ways to save money on items such as consignment. Buy used and sell it
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 8:42 PM on Aug. 1, 2009