I need a book!

I just read "The Red Tent" by Anita Diamant and it was WONDERFUL! I love historical fiction from a woman's perspective (especially pre-1950, preferably ancient) But now I don't know what to read. I'd be interested in another Chinese historical fiction but was wondering if anyone else who loves the genre has a reccomendation!

mrs_pulley

Asked by mrs_pulley at 8:35 PM on Aug. 1, 2009 in Entertainment

• I should add, The Good Earth takes place in a Chinese village long ago...that's why the recommendation =)
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 11:22 AM on Aug. 2, 2009

• I dont have a recommendation for ur genre but a book that I can read over and over is the lovely bones.
    kirsty_mcgrail

Answer by kirsty_mcgrail at 8:37 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• I can't remember the author's name but she wrote alot of historical romance novels that took place during the Colonial times or Medieval times. I wish I could remember the names of some of her books. Grrr! It's been a long time.
    Imogine

Answer by Imogine at 8:47 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• The Lovely Bones is An AWESOME book...
    I just finshed Pretend You Don't See Her by Mary Higgins Clark... it was a "page-turner". There's your action (with two deaths, an all that jazz) and your romance... I love Clark.
    I'm also a sucker for Nicholas Sparks, Stephen King, any Chicken Soup....
    The twilight series also rock.
    momma_marian

Answer by momma_marian at 8:57 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• I loved Middlesex. It is about how Greek immigrants started out in the US and settling in Detroit, with some weird awesome stuff mixed in between(it is called middlesex!) I believe it is by Jeffrey Anacharedes(or something greek sounding last name) It was an Oprah Book Club pick a few years ago. Another suggestion is Dean Koontz's Odd Thomas. stellar.
    2maidsamilkin

Answer by 2maidsamilkin at 9:13 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• I haven't read anything from that genre, but I do adore certain authors. My favorites are: Mary Higgins - Clarke, J.D. Robb, aaagh....my mind just went totally blank.....: (
    Oh well, if you want to read a sad, yet inspiring true story you should read Danielle Steele's story about her son that had bi-polar disorder. It's called : "His Bright Light...the story of Nick Traina"
    I've read it three times. momma marian - I read that too. Wasn't it great....I hate when I'm reading a really good book and then it comes to an end.....I feel sooo lost...LOL
    lighthousemom3

Answer by lighthousemom3 at 9:26 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• I'm more of a fantasy type reader. I like the Twilight Series, Harry Potter, The Witching Hour trilogy (The Witching Hour, Lasher & Taltos by Anne Rice), now reading the Sookie Stackhouse books by Charlaine Harris (the books True Blood was based off of).
    amyrw

Answer by amyrw at 10:45 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• Historical fiction I LOVED:

-"The Pillars of the Earth" by Ken Follett (Takes place in England in the 1100s, documents the building of Kingsbridge cathedral. So much better than it sounds. He writes villains you can actually hate.)
    -"World Without End" by Ken Follett (Sequel--sort of--to the previous book, only it takes place a hundred years later. Deals with the Black Plague. Great characters and great character drama.)
    -"The Thorn Birds" by Colleen McCullough (Austraila in the early 1900s, family drama.)
    -"The House of the Spirits" by Isabel Allende (Chile in the early 1900s, multigenerational drama, documents the development of South America, the hacienda system, and controlling military regimes.)
    -"The First Man in Rome" series by Colleen McCullough (All you ever wanted to know about rome and more. Riveting characters and fascinating plot! Love this series.)

Mousuke

Answer by Mousuke at 12:00 AM on Aug. 2, 2009

• Other books that are less historical fiction but equally great:

-The Sevenwaters Trilogy by Juliet Marillier (Starting with "Daughter of the Forest", this author takes an old Irish folktale and exagerrates it into a beautiful, multi-generation-family saga.)
    -"Labyrinth" by Kate Mosse (Fusion of historical fiction and modern thriller, it flashes back and forth between a plot in the 1200s and a plot in modern times. Takes place in France.)
    -"Shogun" by James Clawell (This actually IS historical fiction! Takes place in Japan and documents early foreign interactions. Excellent and highly underrated.)
    -"The Godfather" by Mario Puzo. (Better than the movie. Chilling, gripping, and fascinating.)
    Mousuke

Answer by Mousuke at 12:04 AM on Aug. 2, 2009

• "Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister" by Gregory Maguire. It's based on Cinderella but takes place in Holland during Rembrant's time.
    Myantek

Answer by Myantek at 9:55 AM on Aug. 2, 2009