Is it bad to be taking hydrocodone, read details before jumping to conclusions...

I was prescribed hydrocodone (lortabs) 5mg by my doc when i was 8 wks (2 refills/ 20 pills each). I had an ovarian cyst that was causing severe pain. Well, I have scoliosis and a pinched nerve in my back. It didn't bother me that bad before I was pregnant, now that I'm 7 months, the extra weight really makes it worse. So I've been buying them from people I know (and I know what they all look like bc my ex used to get them all the time) I NEVER TAKE MORE THAN ONE PER DAY, and that's if I'm hurting really bad. So is it bad that I do this, could it hurt my baby? My risks for birthdefects are like one in 1,000 (I got tested for them and they don't run in my family).

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:37 PM on Aug. 1, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I take lortab daily as prescribed by my doctor for migraines.. I did with my first pregnancy too and shes smart as a whip. *shrugs* I feel confident in my doctors ability to know what is safe during pregnancy.. since you know.. hes an OBGYN and everything.

(and ignore the ignorant people who have to post under the anon.. they only do it to feel better about them selves.. ie.. the one that said something about your kid being retarded) your baby will be fine :)
    Skye-Angel

Answer by Skye-Angel at 10:15 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• Are you serious? Hey, you are responsible for your child. If he can't be taught and is retarded.. you have to deal with him, not us.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:40 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• it is always bad to take prescription medication of someone else. If you need a script for something you see your OWN doctor. Regardless of what it is and whether you are pregnant or not.
    SmileyMoo

Answer by SmileyMoo at 8:41 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• beware of the large amount of tylenol in them, but tylenol and vicodin are both safe to take while pregnant.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 8:43 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• at seven months I think the chances of you making him "retarded" as the above poster put it is slim, do I advise it, do i think its ok, NO. That is an addictive drug which is running though your babies blood stream right now, Right now his liver can't process that kind of thing, which is why so many children are born addicted to those type of drugs, Obviously since your doctor is NOT prescribing them, the pain you have isn't bad enough for him to see fit to give them to you. Before you consider this type of "treatment" or lack there of, I would talk to your doctor, there are other less dangerous things to be taking or DOING to ease your back pain. Back pain is a part of pregnancy, that's just how it is. For a pinched nerve your doctor could prescribe a anti inflammatory drug to ease the pressure off that nerve, which is SAFER than a narcotic. Rethink your situation, and think less about you, and more about the baby!

JnCV

Answer by JnCV at 8:46 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• I was prescribed hydrocodone (same miligram). I took the prescribition as told, and actually had a few left over. I wouldn't suggest this everyday without a doctor's consent. Everyone's body is different and can be affected differently... I would talk to your doctor about this. Taking pills like this can get you easily addicted, I'm not preaching to you, but I've seen this first hand. My father has nine pinched nerves in his back, and severe scoliosis... He roofed all his life, which made it worse. After years of this, my sister and I found him choking on his tounge.... I'm not saying this is you, but this is where you COULD end up.
    momma_marian

Answer by momma_marian at 8:47 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• i really wish regular tylenol helped, the pain is that bad. most days i can barely walk when i get off work. i forgot to add, my right hip is higher than my left one and when it bothers me i can't step forward with my right leg because it will colapse because it hurts so bad. i'm worried that the stress from being in pain is not good for baby.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:50 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• i went to a chiropractor before i was preg, now i can't afford to go, it's cheaper for me to get tabs.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:53 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• I also took a bit of lortab while pregnant. Its tylenol based and there are no warnings about the adverse side effects. Its actually not known what effects it causes the baby, but the small amt your taking isnt anything to worry about. I have been laid up with a pinched nerve for the last 3 days too and OMG the pain in unreal. I have a script for hydros, but I am out and my appt is next week, so I bummed a few off my best friend. No biggie. I think your fine as long as youre taking it only when needed and in small mgs, such as 5's. Five mgs are nothing. Doesnt even phase me. I went to the chiro for this pain and he adjusted me and told me the only way to get rid of the pinched nerve pain was to unpinch the nerve or take morphine....well, I dont have morphine in my pocket so he adjusted me. He helped but didnt get it all in one visit. I will go back on monday. Its hurting me right now, but the hydro didnt do a thing for me.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 8:53 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• I have a herniated disk in my back and am also pregnant. My OB wanted me to try other forms of treatment before taking pills, which I agreed with. She recommended I go to a chiropractor and a massage therapist and is it working great for me I would try that first.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:54 PM on Aug. 1, 2009