For spankers: What do you feel is an appropriate to spank.. how old is to old and how young is too young? Just curious..

WE personally choose not to spank our children.. it is a decison we have made a couple and feel it works best for us.. however I do not feel that spanking (if done correctly : ie on the butt, open hand and an explantaion) Is wrong. I am applaed however when i see babys (9 months or so) getting them.. i think this is too young but its not my place to say anything.. also my brothers friend who is 12 still gets them and imo 12 is too old and there are things that work better.. of course this is just MY opinion not right and not wrong just my opinion.. im just curious as to waht others feel is an appropraite spanking age ... If I did spank i would probably only do it from about 2-5 but thats just me

JrsMommy07

Asked by JrsMommy07 at 9:07 PM on Aug. 1, 2009 in General Parenting

• I am not a spanker either, but I think children younger than 18 months should NEVER be spanked...as well as children older than 13.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:20 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• I'm not a spanker. Small children don't understand the point (other than the big person doing the spanking is a bully) and older kids only learn that hitting is acceptable so they do it too or accept it when others hit them. Older kids have low self esteem and need it to be built up not torn down by the person they think should love and protect them when they strike them. Spanking shows ignorance and should never be done at any age. It is NOT effective. It is NOT DISCIPLINE. It's punishment. That means they don't learn the lesson from it that the uneducated person doing it is trying to convey. They do however learn that hitting is a way to deal with whatever bothers them. That's sad.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:25 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• I dont think younger than 2 and well, no kid is too old. lol. More of those smart ass teens need a good belt to the butt more than any younger child. I spank, but its rare.
    Auntiemom410

Answer by Auntiemom410 at 9:41 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• Spanking is a last resort for us. I have only spanked my oldest once and my twins twice each. What we do is they get a warning, then a time out, then removal of priveledge, then if nothing else has worked spanking for the younger ones and restriction for the older one. The older one is 14 and I doubt spanking would be effective.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 7:46 PM on Aug. 2, 2009