How much is too much?

my baby shower is coming up soon and my DH and I want to get my DD a few big sister presents to give to her at my shower. How many would you buy or spend on something like this? There are alot of little things like picture frames, ect we want to get her, and one big thing. But we are wondering what is going over board for something like this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:09 PM on Aug. 1, 2009 in General Parenting

• My 6 year old wanted to go to build a bear and make his baby brother a monkey...and that's what he did! It was a hit at the shower. Whatever you do just make sure that its personal from your daughter...that's what matters most! Congrats!
    NJMom2Tyler

Answer by NJMom2Tyler at 9:14 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• Oh I LOVE the Build a Bear idea !!! It's the greatest place ever !!! Maybe if you don't have a Build a Bear locally, then you can go online and let her pick one out and then pick out a little outfit for it and everything. Have it shipped express if need be....but that would be a memory to last a lifetime.
    lighthousemom3

Answer by lighthousemom3 at 9:43 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• you are buying something for your own shower? are you afraid no one else will bring anything? why would a kid want to bring a gift? That's just silly
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:05 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• I like the bear idea, b/c it truly involves her in the whole thing.
    For DD as an older sis -- no don't go overboard, the more you try to over compensate the more she will see the new baby as something to dread . --- "Man, this MUST be a bad thing b/c they are REALLY trying to make me see it as a positive."
    Treat the new baby as a natural thing.
    Maybe 1 or 2 presents to celebrate the big sis. (some small things that are TRULY for her -- things that she would like or 1 related to the baby and 1 related to her specific likes)
    Same thing when you bring the baby home -- like if you give her a pic. frame at the shower, then a picture to put in it when you bring the baby home and something specifically for her.

Save the BIGGIES... for another moment or a spontaneous not related to baby, we're not trying to bribe you int liking the baby moment."
    KWIM
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 10:09 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• Anon I dont think you get it. The gift is so her older kiddo doesnt feel left out. Maybe re-read the question next time.

I would do something like a camera, they make really durable ones for kids and toddlers. I like the BAB idea too!

We did a little gift exchange when our second was born. My first gave her a gift and she gave him one, it was pretty cute.
    sk_tennyson

Answer by sk_tennyson at 8:52 AM on Aug. 2, 2009

• I totally love the Build a bear idea too. I think its wonderful to include big sister in the gift giving. Truly a way to show that she is JUST as important as the baby. I think one to two gifts is plenty. Dont shower her with gifts too, but maybe one picture frame and then one bigger gift would be great. I like your idea. I wished I had done that for my kids too. I have 4. Good luck!!
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 9:12 AM on Aug. 2, 2009

• I wouldn't care what anyone thinks.Ha Ha! go overboard if you want! enjoy sharing this experience with your child and shower your way!! Hope you have a terrific shower!!!

happy

moomers

Answer by moomers at 9:20 AM on Aug. 2, 2009

• I would get her one of those "baby sets" that has the baby carrier, diaper bag, changing pad, high chair, playpen (and a baby if she doesn't already have one) and that's it. She will want to do with her baby everything that Mommy does with her.

She doesn't need a lot of gifts, it's not her day.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:40 PM on Aug. 2, 2009