What is your opinion of parents who refuse healthcare for their child because of their religious beliefs?

http://wcco.com/wireapnewswi/Verdict.to.be.2.1110688.html

What if their refusal causes the death of the child?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:40 PM on Aug. 1, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• It really really is a personal decision... and the government should only step in in children too young to decide for themselves
    in regard to vaxing and stuff parents should be held accountable if their kid gets ill and if they die? Manslaughter just like any other crime without intent
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 9:44 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• if its a life/death thing i think cps should get involved and take the child if they refuse. such as a blood transfusion or chemotherapy
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:47 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• I dunno, this is a touchy subject OP. On one hand, my atheist mind is screaming "OMGWTF HOW COULD THEY?!" but my rational, loving mind is saying live and let live...or die, in this case, unfortunately.

My honest opinion is...prayer and faith should not be used as medicine. Period. You can pray all you want for your severed arm to grow back, but it's just not gonna happen. You can get down on your knees and pray for a severe terminal form of cancer to go away, but it's just not gonna happen. I don't know why anyone would refuse emergency or preventative health care in today's world.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 9:49 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• I work in the Nicu and the Picu and we will get court orders to provide children needed care if their parents refuse treatments d/t religious beliefs.
    I have found most parents are ok if someone else is authorizing the care-they just do not want to make the decsion themself d/t conflicts within their religious community.

Kids need protection in these instances.
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 10:01 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• If the child is too young to understand what is going on and can't make a conscious decision for themselves if they want to be treated for their illness or not, than I do think the government should have a say. However, if the child IS old enough to understand everything and they still don't want to be treated, than they shouldn't be. I could never understand someone not believing in trying every possible thing to save their child's life but I guess there are people like that out there.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 10:23 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• The most common problem we encounter is the J Witneses refusing blood transfusions for their children. very sad-
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 10:26 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• They are suffering from delusions. There is no way prayers will cure a child and they have bought into the false promises in the Bible. The father said he read in the Bible that his child would be healed through prayers,right? Ha. What an imbicile. He needs to go to jail. And the Mom who allowed that to happen.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:31 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• I really don't think the gov't should have say in this matter. Religious freedom and all that.

pixie_stix

Answer by pixie_stix at 10:31 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• This is a tough question.

We are devout Catholic and I firmly believe in the power of prayer. I also believe the gift of modern medicine comes from the Lord. I don't remember reading anywhere in the Bible that we are only supposed to pray. I do recall him saying "suffer NOT the little children." We don't hesitate to get medical treatment for our children when they need it.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 10:48 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• I think it's incredibly stupid!!! I was raised as a Jehovah's Witness. Even as a child, I remember thinking how stupid it was that they wouldn't accept a blood transfusion! Even if it meant that the child would DIE!!! To each their own, I guess, but I will NOT let my child die because I sat around and did nothing to save them!!!
    SAMNMAYASMOM

Answer by SAMNMAYASMOM at 10:52 PM on Aug. 1, 2009