from the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy post . . . For Everyone : )

I really want to read those books. But I was wondering what other books you guys like. I am a lit girl and I love to read. So tell me, what books speak to your soul, delight you, crack you up, move you to tears!!!

What is your favorite book (fiction of course)? And why?

What is your favorite line from the book?

: )

Cinnamon-mom

Asked by Cinnamon-mom at 10:03 PM on Aug. 1, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• My FAVORITE book of all time is "The Giver".
    Right now I am reading the Sword of Truth Series By Terry Goodkind.Here is a line from the first book.
    "Wizards First Rule:People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 10:14 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• Oh, and you can share your favorite genre too (romance, sci-fi, post-modern fiction, etc.)
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 10:04 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• As for the opening statement... LOL... the first thing I thought of was the comical movie that is out with the same title... that I would love to see... as for me... I am a big fan of Historical/vampire/type romances... needless to say I received all 4 Twilight saga books and read all of them in a week and half... but it wasn't the fact the characters are werewolves or vampires, it's the emotions, the feelings that are being portrayed in these books... and the 4th book was the ultimate of all of them... extremely heartfelt.... As with most of the books I have read... (and I am extremely picky of what I read) it MUST affect me inside and out... to be well worth the time to read... But I will let some know that any and all Twilight movies does NOT do the books justice... not worth watching... (JMO) of course...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 10:16 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• Your not boring NL. We should have a Non-Fiction Question too!
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 10:21 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• I honestly only ever read Non-Fiction (yes, I am boring, I know). But Kristi reminded me how much I loved "The Giver" when I read it. I don't remember any specific lines from it off the top of my head. I also recently started re-reading the Epic of Gilgamesh, I guess that counts? lol

(oops! sorry Cin, I deleted and re-posted when I added Epic of Gilgamesh lol) I don't like making a whole bunch of seperate text boxes if I don't have to hehe).
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 10:24 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• Sword of Truth series - the first book is the ONLY book worth reading. They all go downhill after that, IMO. Wheel of Time Series - was good, but I couldn't stand all the different characters and story lines to follow. As for one that touches the soul - just about anything written by Orson Scott Card - especially the Ender series...
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 10:24 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• I really enjoyed the Mark of the Lion Trilogy. It is historical fiction based in AD 70, Rome. It is an easy read but very enjoyable. Everyone who reads it has gotten really into it.

I also really loved Jane Eyre. I could totally understand who she was as a person and I love her. I also loved how Bronte dealt with her romantic convictions. It is also beautifully written.

I also love The Prisoner in the Third Cell, by Gene Edwards. Has anyone ever read him? I think he is one of my favorite writers. What he writes about is so deep and his style is beautiful.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 10:32 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• Circle of Stone series

The Change series (well, I like most of S.M. Sterling's books). lol.

The decent (nothing like the movie that was made about it, the movie only vaguely resembles the first chapter of the book, so only 30 or so pages of a roughly 500 page novel, definitely did not to the book justice.)

The Devil's Gospel was a good book I just finished ready about the last words of Jesus, completely fictional mind you, but good.

oh Swan Song was a GREAT book :).

James Patterson writes some good books too.

Appaloosa (sp?) or any other book by Robert Parker.

If you need authors for some pm me, and I'll look them up for you, some I forget the authors.. below I'll try to list some of the plots so you know what they are about, in case you get interested.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 10:44 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• I also loved reading (even though it was torture) The Kite Runner and a Thousand Splendid Suns, by Khaleed Hosseini.

Right now I am reading Redemption by Karen Kingsbury, and I am starting Reading Lolita in Tehran.

Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 10:44 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• JPsMo...
    Sword of Truth series - the first book is the ONLY book worth reading.

Dont' tell me that I have 11 more to go. LOL
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 10:46 PM on Aug. 1, 2009