How do I get my one year son to stop biting? Any thoughts about why he is?

I have a one year son who is teething and biting. The catch is - the only person he seems to bite is me. Not the sitter, his cousins or his father. Just mom. It seems to happen when we are playing. It's hasn't appeared when he is frustrated at me or upset- normally it's just us rolling around and suddenly he bites me. I don't know why he is doing it but I really, really want it to stop. Believe it or not those little chompers hurt. Saying Not nice or ouch hasn't really worked but I am really up for any advice you all can give. Thanks!

tooqtcute

Asked by tooqtcute at 10:04 PM on Aug. 1, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• he probably only bites you because mommy fixes everything. you've always made things better. since he's teething i'd give him something else to test the teething on lol. i used a chilled carrot (full size of course so he can choke) but if he has a lot of teeth there are plenty of teething toys out there. but dont freeze them it could actually hurt the gums if too cold. just put in fridge for a bit. one of my faves too is a frozen waffle. bc once baby bites a piece off it melts pretty easy when its gummed. my son really enjoys a cool washcloth too. hope at least one of those helps!
    AmandaN1

Answer by AmandaN1 at 10:08 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• i agree with the PP. They make these little mesh fruit things, you put fruit in them and snap it shut.. it works great with cold fruits or veggies even carrots! just search mesh fruit holder and results will pop up, walmart sells them.
    sharisse

Answer by sharisse at 10:20 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• you bite him back n he will see it hurts n sttop we had to do that with my lil sister
    ggiovanni

Answer by ggiovanni at 10:31 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• My son did the same thing. he is two and he still does it when he gets carried away. At first we would just tell him thats not nice. Then he kept doing it. so we had to SHOW him it hurt. Bite him back. NOT HARD, he just needs to understand it hurts. He doesnt understand it hurts. Just bite his finger just enough for him to pull away. Then tell him see it hurts mommy too. It may take a few times but he will get it. You can't let him get away with it cause he will start biting others.
    MomofTwins07

Answer by MomofTwins07 at 11:17 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• Our FS did this, too. He also seem to do it when we were rolling around playing. My theory was that we kinda opened our mouth on him like "raaawwrrr" and he was "trying" to do it to us, but ended up biting us. He really didn't understand that it was hurting us. AND there came a time that he did it only to me. (I was more forgiving.) AND when he was tired or teething. The best solution was to head it off, I watched for it when we were playing, or if he was tired or teething, and if he bit, we stopped playing. (This is how DH got him to stop biting HIM. He would tell him, "ow, that hurt!", and STOP playing with him.) Time out was something that we started at 15 months, he wouldn't have understood it earlier, but every child is different. It is a phase that they go thru, it's a learning process. And this too shall pass. Hang in there. (PS-We aren't allowed to bite back, foster parents.)
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 12:27 AM on Aug. 2, 2009

• Do not ever bite back a baby/toddler/child!!

Young children bite,well,cause they can. They are exploring their world,new teeth,sensations,learning boundaries etc

Biting is a primative instinct/function and one time perhaps a survival instinct or form of communication

once they grow and mature a little more and get to understand that bitmg isn't allowed or tolerated,they will stop.

A firm 'NO' as they begin(don't let a full hard bite to happen) and removal from situation. Hold them away so the action stops and can't hurt you or anyone else.

Explain/say 'no,no biting,we don't bite,it hurts,ouch!' or something along those lines.

Then move onto another activity to distract and change their train of thought altogether.

Given time,biting is grown out of as they learn socially not acceptable...to the people you love and especially if in daycare etc Cant just go around biting and hurting other babie
    Clearbrite

Answer by Clearbrite at 7:49 AM on Aug. 2, 2009

• Whatever you do, do NOT bite him back! That is considered child abuse in most states!! And it doesn't work anyway! All he will know is that you bit him and it hurt, he doesn't know that when he bites you that you feel pain. He isn't old enough to process that information yet. Mine was a terrible biter!! The only way to get her to stop was just sliding my hand between her mouth and whatever part of the body she was trying to latch onto at the time. Then I'd say "NO BITING! THAT HURTS"...it did take her a little while to get used to the idea, but she did stop. A few times she would start and then look at me and say "No bite?" Took a good couple weeks to get her to stop doing it all together. It comes from frustration. Learn to recognize when yours is getting stressed out and stop it, redirect attention, MOVE before it gets to that point. GOOD LUCK!

SimplyLaine

Answer by SimplyLaine at 8:17 AM on Aug. 2, 2009

• Bite him back !!!! Don't chomp down - do it just enough so he gets the picture. It will only take once or twice before he realizes that it does hurt, and he will stop.
    Nanna22

Answer by Nanna22 at 8:34 AM on Aug. 2, 2009

• My 14 month old son started doing this, too, a couple of months ago. Mostly he bites me, but he's also bitten Dad a time or two.

I always tell him, "No! No biting!" very firmly and frown so he knows I'm serious. I also set him down since he only bites when I'm holding him.

I don't think biting them back is the best approach. My son bit my husband once recently and my husband smacked him on the arm to "get his attention". I was pretty upset since we've always been in agreement about no spanking, and we had a big talk about the incident.

I just don't think spanking, smacking, biting back, etc., send the right messages. They teach the child that hitting and biting are acceptable behaviors--at least when adults do them. How do you show that something's wrong by repeating the same behavior?
    Mamastheword

Answer by Mamastheword at 11:57 AM on Aug. 2, 2009

• You dont bit hard. You by no means abuse him. Sheesh. as one mom said all kids learn differently. Try what works for you. Try the biting him back as a last result. That is what we had to do. I know I already answered this but The child abuse thing got me. I by no means abused my son thank you very much!
    MomofTwins07

Answer by MomofTwins07 at 2:55 PM on Aug. 2, 2009