What would you do?

If someone said they hate themselves and/or their life, and they were serious, what would you do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:07 PM on Aug. 1, 2009 in Health

• Ask them why. Let them vent it all and just listen. If it was a good firend then ice cream a good cry and or a wentch fest. If they said they hated it and wanted to end it then I would ask them how, if there is any hint that they could realy do it, call the local Mental health crisis line. If anything they said made me worred or uncomfortable I would call the line and ask for assistance.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 10:11 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• i say i hate myself and my life all the time.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 10:08 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• PURPULbutterfly, no offense but the question was what if they said that AND THEY WERE SERIOUS. Meaning - they meant it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:10 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• Say "Maybe you should talk to a professional" and leave it at that. Unless it was family or a close friend, than I'd get more involved. But if it was just like a coworker or something, I'd rather not be involved. I have enough going on in my life.
    If that makes me selfish, to care more about my family's well being than someone I don't know, than so be it. If I wanted to be a psychologist I would've gone to school for it.
    jmpeskie

Answer by jmpeskie at 10:10 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• try to get them to tell you something fround their past that at that time was so terrible that they thought that they could not go on, and let them see that they got over that and moved on, just like they can with whatever is going on now in their life

if they are really depressed and not situationally depressed then they need some medical help and i would try to tell them that there are people that help for a living and they are professional, have heard it all and they do not judge

are you asking a general question?
    or is someone in your life having a seriously hard time?
    boredmom44

Answer by boredmom44 at 10:25 PM on Aug. 1, 2009