Night, The Diary of Anne Frank, and other Non-Fiction Books : )

Since some of you don't read much fiction. So what non-fiction books have changed your life? Spoke to your heart? Made you laugh and cry?

Cinnamon-mom

Asked by Cinnamon-mom at 10:23 PM on Aug. 1, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• This is long, but wanted to share...I have read too many to count and couldn't possibly pick a favorite. Diary of Anne Frank moved me deeply in high school. When my son was a Juinor they spent a very long time on Night by Elie Wiesel. Being a WW2 history fanatic of sorts I had discussed the holocaust with him at length. I knew he understood..but after reading Night..he "got it' He sat and cried for a very long time. The class was required to draw pictures illustrating three things in the book. I watched my son grow a lot during those weeks. In watching him I was moved also. Just a few months later we stood side by side watching the twin towers fall and he said "I didn't understand that kind of hated until I read Night. Not a far stretch as comparisons go..but I hadn't thought of it that way until he said it.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 11:12 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• Biography of Audrey Hepburn and books on Mythology/ older religions.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 10:24 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• Are you implying The dairy of Anne Frank is fiction?

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:24 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• the middle place by kelly corrigan
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 10:25 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• no anon it says 'the diary of anne frank and other NON-fiction books"
    josiesmommy00

• Anon, the title says NON-fiction lol.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 10:26 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• Anonymous

Are you implying The dairy of Anne Frank is fiction?

NO, she was using it in reference as an example of NON-fiction books.I believe she was also listing it as one of her favorites.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 10:26 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• The Hiding Place, by Corey Tenboom
    mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 10:34 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• loooove the hiding place, also survival in auschwitz... tear jerkers!
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 10:36 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• My favorite right now is "The Sociopath Next Door" by Dr. Martha Stout. I also really enjoyed "Jesus Land: A Memoir" by Julia Scheeres (I shouldn't say "enjoyed," it is a book about adoption, racism and what it's like to live as a Christian without being shown Christ's love).

I am currently reading and enjoying: "Book of Jubilees" (R.H. Charles, Translator), "Book of Enoch" (R.H. Charles, Translator), "Praying the Names of Jesus" by Ann Spangler, "Fallen Angels and the Origins of Evil.." by Elizabeth Claire Prophet and "Judas and the Gospel of Jesus" by N.T. Wright.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 10:40 PM on Aug. 1, 2009