MATH

I just recently started back up in school....and I don't find math to be any more purposeful this time around...Please tell me when I am ever going to have to times something by pie or multiply 12 fractions by eachother in real life , and this is only the first of three courses!!!!.I am sorry but I have gone this long without doing anything more than plugging numbers in a calculator.......its just frustrating!
Just had to get my beef out there in the world so I can go on and do my homework now.

soveryconfused

Asked by soveryconfused at 10:28 PM on Aug. 1, 2009 in

• it's pi dear.... no wonder you don't know anything
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:30 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• I feel your pain. I tried 3 times get through 1 course of Math in college and couldn't do it. I failed Algebra and Geometry both in high school as well. The truth is you WON'T ever have to use that stupid sh*t in real life situations. Look at our parents and grandparents. Half the stuff they teach in math classes now older generations have never even heard of! They all seemed to get by just fine. And now we have computers and calculators and do all of that nonsense for us anyways! I just could never bring myself to learn something I knew I was never going to use again in my life. Sorry I know this isn't the encouragement you were probably looking for but its how I feel.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 10:31 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• Bite me to the first answer.
    I completly agree with you, but I guess you wouldn't know you don't want certian careers if you hadn't tried it.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 10:35 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• smile

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:37 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• I feel your pain too! I went to school for Early Childhood Education. I teach preschool, want soon to teach K.....I had to take Calculus....I was always saying " I want to teach 5 year olds....why do I need this?" LOL.....

There is a math learning disability, called dyscalculia, its real...I think I have it...seriously...look it up, very interesting...but sad more people dont know about it.

Everyone knows about dyslexia and cuts those kids slack, not so in math.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 10:40 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• mom2twobabes :
    I teach 3rd grade and don't think I could go up much further! LOL! I seriously hate math, it was always my worst subject. I am going to have to look up dyscalculia!

OP :
    Honestly, unless you are going into some sort of math related field, you won't need it!!
    MommyToAly429

Answer by MommyToAly429 at 10:49 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• I have had a couple of jobs where I used both algebra and geometry, mostly doing lighting calculations.

Math is not just about learning formulas; it is a great brain exercise and helps keep your mind agile and in good shape.

Answer by rkoloms at 11:41 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• It's about higher order thinking and understanding how the world works.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:58 AM on Aug. 2, 2009

• Yeah I guess I can see how basic math concepts would be good to know....which is the first class out of three I am taking, but two more levels???That is way beyond basic geometry and formulas... I can find a much better brain exercise than getting a migraine and wanting to throw something from frustration :) Bite me as well to the first answer. Pie Pi Pee...wtf I dont care.
    soveryconfused

Answer by soveryconfused at 8:09 AM on Aug. 2, 2009

• ya i am going back to school also. i am 50 yrs old.i have 3 more classes to take all math.i have to calculate lets see pie pye pi what ever it is i cant do it either .my husband is the math wiz i no or know it equals 3.14.....and thats it.and i cant figure out for the life of me how letters mean numbers.and i also dont understand how that equates with the higher order of understanding.hmm i thought that was philosophy...which i aced.and i prefer pie apple pie....:c)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:22 AM on Aug. 2, 2009