What sport(s) does she play?

Gymnastics has been her love for the past few years, but being an only child I guess, I'm noticing she enjoys team activities more - especially with other girls (like Girl Scout camp). I'd love to get her involved in a girl's volleyball team or something out of the ordinary for girls (dirt bikes?). She's taken tennis and swimming lessons. She roller skates, bowls and is a beginner skier. She likes go karts, biking and canoeing. She has seasonal ashma, so nothing involving a lot of sustained running. What sport teams are your school age daughter on?

HannahMom2000

Asked by HannahMom2000 at 10:38 PM on Aug. 1, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• My dd plays basketball and loves it, she's really short and small for her age, but she makes up for it with enthusiasm! I guess this may not be good for your dd with the asthma though.
    robinann5

Answer by robinann5 at 11:23 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• Mine does horseback riding and she LOVES IT. Takes lessons every week with a group of girls her age and they've become good friends--they ride together other days of the week.

I grew up around horses and think every girl should get the chance to ride a horse; it teaches self confidence, as well as how to say "no" to a very large creature--a lesson that plays out later in life.
    Mousuke

Answer by Mousuke at 11:35 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• well she plays basket ball and volleyball for high school
    FIVEHAPPYHEARTS

Answer by FIVEHAPPYHEARTS at 1:21 AM on Aug. 2, 2009

• my daughters played soccer and basketball and field hockey.
    JDplus17

Answer by JDplus17 at 7:06 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• My 11 yr old is playing Fall Soccer, Winter Basketball, and spring softball. She loves basketball the best. I am hoping that she will like soccer too. She is asking to play so I think it will be good to get in shape. I also want both of my girls in tennis lessons, but money doesnt provide right now. I might contact the community center and see if they have some workshops. So in the spring, they both might want to play tennis.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 6:30 AM on Aug. 3, 2009

• My dd has played soccer,saddleseat horsebackriding,swimming,ice skating.She learned to snow ski last winter in Utah.
    Softball is a BIG girls team sport here.Basketball is too. My dd has a hard time keeping her attention if she is not physically moving. It's hard for her to do some of the team sports. We are now going to put her in ballet as she has always wanted to learn.
    momthruivf

Answer by momthruivf at 5:28 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• An awesome sport that supports and complements gymnastics... karate! Seriously! The stamina, strength, concentration, and grace required in both sports totally complement each other. And, as a plus, your daughter will be able to righteously defend herself from "strangers" (shamless promotion: my daughter recently sparred against four different boys at tournament and took first place SERIOUS GIRL POWER!!!). It's not a team sport per se, but there is a lot of support from the group... cheering on, encouragement, etc., it has been shown to dramatically increase respect for adults, grades at school, and confidence levels.

As another plus... beside her brother doing the same two sports... their daddy has taken up Tae Kwon Do and is three belts away from black.
    crittermomma

Answer by crittermomma at 2:42 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• Dancing seems a natural compliment to gymnastics. My daughter loves the interaction with the other girls in her weekly ballet and jazz classes and they perform a recital twice a year. Learning the group dance and performing together is a great way to bond and feel a part of a group. Good luck!
    momrocks1000

Answer by momrocks1000 at 12:24 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• My 9yo DD was a competition cheerleader for 2 years. It's really cool because it's not 'rah rah' pom pom cheerleading. It's a cross between gymnastics, tumbling and dance. This year, she decided that she wanted to do competition dance. Luckily, her all-star gym has cheer and dance teams. She loves it and it keeps her in great shape. It's also a great family thing. We all go to the competitions together and scream & cheer our butts off!
    bracketrat

Answer by bracketrat at 2:29 PM on Sep. 13, 2009