adhd

does anybody have kids with ADHD and when did you frist notice it

lagurl

Asked by lagurl at 10:42 PM on Aug. 1, 2009 in Kids' Health

• My son has ADHD. He was diagnosed at 4 (almost 5), but I have known since he was about 2 that there was something not right.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:00 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• We started noticing it when my DD started school. I hate meds so didn't take her to the doctor for a long time but things just got worse so we took her to the doc and I explained that I did not like meds. Well the doc explained to me about this medicine ( concerta) and we put her on it and it has worked great. She is much calmer and can concentrate way better in school. Her grades even came up. Now this medicine did not make her all sleepy or anything it just calmed her down to where she could concentrate. Call the doctor and have an evaluation done and see what they say. If you decide meds just research the meds before you give them to your child even if the doctor explains it to you. I have a nephew on all kinds of meds for ADHA and it was making him all crazy and dopey so I started researching some of the meds he was on and they were not FDA approved and was making him worse. I wont allow any other meds for my DD.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:13 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• Signs of ADHD are very short attention span, not being able to concentrate, real hyper, not learning on their level, ( which is due to not being able to concentrate), not paying attention or paying attention to everything else or everybody else when they are doing a project or school work. There are many other symptoms look them up. You can find alot of information on ADHD on the Internet. good luck this is hard for a child to have.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:19 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• My son does and I noticed in about 2nd grade, but he wasn't diagnosised until he was in 4th grade.He has been on meds since then and has done excellent. HIs grades went from D's and F's to A's and B's, his self esteem is a lot better, he is calmer and can concentrate on homework and in school. My son is on Vyvanse and it is amazing. Less side affects than the Concerta that he was on, he even eats all the time and gains weight. He is less angry too. When on Concerta he had issues with anger control. If the dose is correct, your child won't be a zombie, they will be attentive, calm and able to concentrate.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:19 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• My ds has it.. He is almost 10. He also has HFA.. But he takes Vyvanse for his ADHD and we are really happy with it.. (Meds are an option. Some are for them, others arent. A total personal decision)
    We went through several meds before finding the right one for ds. He was on Adderall XR for the longest until Vyvanse came out and we switched to it..
    But definitely, if you have any concerns, talk to his ped about it first and go from there.
    Melindakc

Answer by Melindakc at 11:21 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• There are many therapists who work with people who have ADD/ADHD; they teach them not just coping skills, but how to use ADD/ADHD as an advantage in their lives. Thom Hartmann has written extensively on this topic; you should be able to find his books art your local library, there is lots of information at his website: http://www.thomhartmann.com/category/thom/adhd-education/You may also want to explore how foods affect behavior, either from the Feingold Organization (www.feingold.org) or another source. We eat a "clean" diet; no processed foods, no chemical additives, no meat, very little dairy. My daughter's attention and impulse issues were helped dramatically by fish oil supplements (though we have since switched her to hemp oil). It is important to use a high quality brand, like Nordic Naturals

Answer by rkoloms at 11:16 AM on Aug. 2, 2009