15 month old crying. when he goes to his bed.

ok so bedtime rolls around and our 13month old cries and cries for hours. i know we shouldnt be getting him out aftdr an hour of cryin, its too much. so we bring him in the living room until he plays himself to sleep the other night we didnt getin bed till 2 in the morning. and i have to get up early. we do the whole scheduling a routine but as soon as he hits the bed he starts does not stop. pleas any tips or advice.
thanks from a sleep deprived mom.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:01 PM on Aug. 1, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Try different things. Usually the first thing I try is set the time for 10 minutes. Go in the room, pat his back, tell him you are here and will be back in a little bit. Set the timer for 10 minutes again, and repeat. Keep that up untill he falls asleep. The first night it may take a couple of hours but that is better then letting him get up to play. Eventually he will learn mom and dad expect him to sleep. I wouldn't think that would take more than 5 days! If I think of opther things we did I will let you know!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 11:06 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• I think you reinfored the behavior by giving in to him, not that I blame you, it is so hard to let your baby cry. Next time maybe just try going in there and trying to comfort him, but not taking him out of his bed. Go in however many times you feel you need to, but try to wait longer and longer in between times. But don't ever get him up, just soothe him in his bed, rub his back, pat his bottom, rub his face, sing softly. Don't talk to him alot, you can soothe him calmly, but don't say things that would encourage him to answer, or get too excited. GL
    robinann5

Answer by robinann5 at 11:10 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• Let him cry it out.

Put him in his bed and tell him it's bedtime. Sit by the door of his room so he can still see you, but don't respond to him if he cries/calls your name/etc. Ignore him. If he gets out of bed, put him back in without a word. Eventually he will stop crying and fall asleep, and will be more at ease because he sees you're there.
    Mousuke

Answer by Mousuke at 4:34 AM on Aug. 2, 2009

• i WOULD ALWAYS READ MINE A BED TIME STORY . OR TWO IF THE STORIES WERE SHORT. BUT THAT WAS IT. SOMETIMES HE FELL ASLEEP .AND OTHER TIMES HE DIDN'T . BUT i STILL SAID THAT'S IT, IF I HAD TO READ A SECOND BOOK . IT'S TIME TO SLEEP . TOMORROW I'LL READ YOU SOME MORE, I SAY GOOD-NIGHT.HE SAIDS GOODT-NIGHT ;I HUGGED THEM SAID I LOVED THEM TUCKED THEM IN . AND SAID SEE YOU TOMORROW. AND I ALSO SAID SWEET DREAMS. THAT WORKED FOR BOTH OF THEM. MY FRIEND SAIDS TO TRY THIS TOO PUT ON SOME SOFT BABY MUSIC 'THAT PUTS HER LITTLE TO SLEEP.WELL I HOPE WE HELPED. GOOD LUCK.
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 9:38 AM on Aug. 2, 2009