My toddler who is 21 months today has not been going to bed like she should! She is dead asleep to the world can't wake her up, but once we hit the stairs to take her to her crib, or once in her room she wakes up with a very high pitched scream, and is instantly awake? It has been going on for about a month now and i am too fed up with this. Also she doesn't stop crying until she climbs out of her crib!

MoMof2gurls2007

Asked by MoMof2gurls2007 at 11:09 PM on Aug. 1, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• let her sleep where ever she falls out, don't move her
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:11 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• You need to train her to fall asleep in her bed! Put her in the crib at bedtime and if she climbs out, put her back in. It may take a week or so, but eventually she will fall asleep and stay asleep in her bed.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 11:14 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• Maybe it's time for a toddler or twin bed. Ours was about 21-22 months, I think.
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 12:29 AM on Aug. 2, 2009

• I would start putting her to sleep in her crib before she falls asleep. If you have to sit beside the crib and rub her back or cheek to get her use to sleeping in the crib. Though I advise just putting her down and covering her and then leaving the room and shutting the door.

If she climbs out of her crib then it is absolutely time to put her in a toddler or twin bed or a mattress on the floor. Child proof her room make sure furniture is bolted to the wall. You can also put a folding gate around her bed if you want to keep her more contained.

Create a routine and stick with it. Let her cry and sooth herself to sleep if necessary. The less games and back and forth you play the better. Consistency works well so even if it doesn't appear to be working after a week keep it up.
    tocreatefire

Answer by tocreatefire at 9:37 AM on Aug. 2, 2009

• I agree with everything said. Consistent and firm bedtimes. You stay in your bed. Not that mine do, but bedtime is bedtime. They aren't allowed to get up unless they have to potty or have one of their nosebleeds or there's some other major issue. It's okay for her to cry it out. She'll learn you mean business. But you know I'm a mean mom. Tell her Lori said to be nice to Mommy!
    lorireynolds

Answer by lorireynolds at 10:39 AM on Aug. 4, 2009