milk storage

I have a pump but I don't use it often yet so I have a question... I am going to breakfast in the morning and am going to bring the baby (first time I am going to take her to a restaurant)... if I pump some milk into a couple of bottles and put it in the fridge, can I bring one with in the diaper bag? We will only be gone 2 hours tops.. I just don't know the rules.. If I take it out of the fridge and put it in the diaper bag it will be room temperature by the time she eats it, BUT is that ok to do? I have no idea..sorry if it's a stupid question.

itsbree2you

Asked by itsbree2you at 11:22 PM on Aug. 1, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• No not a stupid question... before my daughter started refusing the bottle... if I had to take her out in public in the morning and didn't wanna whip out the boob in front of everyone I would pump and get everything ready to go then when she woke up (or I might had to wake her up) get her ready and out the door. Freshly expressed milk is good at warm temperature for up to 4 hours. Don't refridgerate it if you need it before 4 hours... once refridgerated you can warm it up under hot running water or in a bowl of warm water, and it will be good for an hour.... Milk in the fridge is good to use up to 8 days.... In your freezer (attached to your fridge with a separate door): 4-6 months (stored in the back... not on the door) in a deep freezer: up to a year. Good luck!
    marchma2b

Answer by marchma2b at 11:34 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• Oh and I suggest you start giving your baby a bottle a day (no sooner than 3 weeks old) just so she gets used to it.... I did that at first and she was fine, but then I got lazy and around 3 months she stopped taking the bottle all together... now i can't leave her with a sitter for longer than 2 hours!
    marchma2b

Answer by marchma2b at 11:37 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• in my first post i ment to say milk is goo up tp 4 hours at ROOM temperature... not warm.... sorry.... that's room temp.... before refridgeration
    marchma2b

Answer by marchma2b at 11:38 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• Awesome! Thanks soo much for your reply! I was going to pump right now, but I will wait until morning. I'm always nervous about pumping because I have this thought in my head that if I pump (and freeze it or whatever) there won't be any milk for to eat if she gets hungry immediately after I pump. I've been told I need to get this thought out of my head. lol
    itsbree2you

Answer by itsbree2you at 12:19 AM on Aug. 2, 2009

• yeah your milk will come in again within an hour after pumping but if stimulated (like your baby nursing) it can come in sooner if needed
    marchma2b

Answer by marchma2b at 11:31 AM on Aug. 2, 2009

• If you are only going to be gone 2 hours, nurse the baby before you leave...or even in the car before going in if you have an issue NIP and take maybe an ounce with you...theres no need for more than that because Bf babies need 1-1.25 oz an hour nutritionally. I fyou nurse before leaving baby shouldn't need it at all.
    heres links about pumping and bottles and storage
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/milkcalc.html
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/milkstorage.html
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/qa-bottle-intro-disagreement.html
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 1:39 PM on Aug. 2, 2009